• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jigokudō Reikai Tsūshin Manga by Elegant Yokai Apartment Life's Kōzuki, Higurashi's Mimori Ent

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Karen Ressler wrote:
Jigokudō Reikai Tsūshin (Hell Shrine Spiritual World Communication)

Have you researched the contents of Kōduki's Jigokudō Reikai Tsūshin stories well?
Actually, Jigokudō is the name of a pharmacy in the town in the Jigokudō Reikai Tsūshin stories. (The true name of the pharmacy is Gokurakudō, but since it is an uncanny shop, people in the town call it Jigokudō.) And the 'dō' part, which you translated as shrine, of 'Jigokudō' is a 'suffix' which is often used as a constituent of the name of a business. The 'dō' part of 'Nintendō', the name of a famous company that makes playing cards and video games, too, is the same 'suffix'. The 'dō' part of 'Bunmeidō', the name of a famous company that makes the castela sponge cake, too, is the same 'suffix'.

In Jigokudō Reikai Tsūshin, Kōduki Hinowa wrote:
Quote:
 この「三人悪」の住む上院の街の外れに「地獄堂」がある。
 地獄堂は、江戸時代あたりから続いている薬屋で、普通の薬局で売っているような薬ではなく、茶色の紙袋とか、銀色のカンカンとかに入っている漢方薬風のものを置いてある、そのまま時代劇に出てきそうな店だ。 店の本当の名は「極楽堂」というのだが、右に大きく傾いたぼろい木造二階建て、正面入り口横のガラスケースの中には、脳みそ腹わた丸出しの人体模型が飾ってあるこの店を、「極楽堂」となどと呼ぶ者は、一人もいない。

Shinmeikai Kokugo Jiten says:
Quote:
[字音語の造語成分] 堂 ② 屋号・雅号・建造物の名前に添える語。
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
Thank you for pointing all that out. We changed our rough English translation to just say "Jigokudō Spiritual World Communication" since as you mentioned Jigokudō is the nickname for a pharmacy in the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1