• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's "No.1 Cosplayer's" Salary Revealed on Abema TV

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
People can do whatever they want with their money but I personally find this pretty sad.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
she earns 100 dollers per minute but gets about 2,700 dollers per month? (yes I know income) and it even says she lives a modest life. What does she work like 1 day a week or something? the numbers don't add up.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
She has to have a gig to go to, this also means she has to research trends that allow her to cosplay as characters that match her physical frame or else she simply won't get as much attention. A professional cosplayer would be comparable to say a Youtube Personality, they get alot of fans and can quickly get alot of money "for not doing much" but in truth she likely works hard to stay competitive as well as keeping herself relevant so that people still seek her out specifically.
DryYourEyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
she earns 100 dollers per minute but gets about 2,700 dollers per month? (yes I know income) and it even says she lives a modest life. What does she work like 1 day a week or something? the numbers don't add up.

"During the day of the recording, Uramaru earned 277,000 yen (US$2,500) including photo ops and merchandise. Uramaru pockets between 20-30% of her sales. She schedules two or three photo sessions each month and also makes radio appearances and designs characters"

Read boi, and honestly this ain't like she's a waiter non of those bills from the photo shoot go into her hands they go to the agency and then they pay her a salary.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
She has to have a gig to go to, this also means she has to research trends that allow her to cosplay as characters that match her physical frame or else she simply won't get as much attention. A professional cosplayer would be comparable to say a Youtube Personality, they get alot of fans and can quickly get alot of money "for not doing much" but in truth she likely works hard to stay competitive as well as keeping herself relevant so that people still seek her out specifically.

I have to agree with this. I give a lot of kudos to professional cosplayers. She has to work damn hard to keep that look from the character and keep in shape too. It takes a lot of money and time to make costumes too.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
That feels pretty low. There's probably some Instagram models making a lot more, I guess they wouldn't count that since it's not salaries. I wonder if she just never tried to explore more outside of this agency stuff she currently does (or maybe they don't let her).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
People can do whatever they want with their money but I personally find this pretty sad.

Why do you find this sad? She makes roughly $32,400 a year. That is a decent income for many people.
tomdean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
$2700 a month is very low for being 'world's best'. This is below average salary in Tokyo she could have worked in a bar or flipped burgers and she would have earnt more. and the reality is that, she has a shelf life.

She must really love her job; now I have even more respect for her and other cosplayers
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Why do you find this sad? She makes roughly $32,400 a year. That is a decent income for many people.

Cost of living. Japan is an expensive place to live in, especially Tokyo.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
$2700 a month is very low for being 'world's best'. This is below average salary in Tokyo she could have worked in a bar or flipped burgers and she would have earnt more. and the reality is that, she has a shelf life.

She must really love her job; now I have even more respect for her and other cosplayers

For my contacts with Japanese cosplayers, some of them professional, many of them work part time in maid cafes or cosplay cafes to help suplement the monthly income. But still is a very hard life.
That's why most cosplayers quit cosplay before early. They usually start with 16-17 years old and do cosplay until early 20's
tomdean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
is a very hard life.That's why most cosplayers quit cosplay before early. They usually start with 16-17 years old and do cosplay until early 20's

Same with mangakas and anime artists; another profession which brings so much joy for so many yet remains criminally under-paid and under-appreciated.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
It's low but she just got a TV show to do a segment on her. This leads to her agency getting more TV appearances, and then cameo's in TV shows or movies, and eventually a career as a variety show talent or actress, etc etc.

That is similar to what other people like idol singers, local MC hosts, etc would make, and it sounds like the opportunities to earn more (for her agency, which will eventually mean more for her) will only grow.
When her current contract is up, if she's worth it she can renegotiate a higher salary, or move to a different agency. Such is the showbiz life.

Anyone who thought cosplayers pocket a ton of cash themselves are just kidding themselves. The only ones who do that... well... let's just say the cosplay part is secondary. And even then the money might not be worth it.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
My god. She is the definition of a Girl in Manga/Anime. Her eyes are gigantic. Sure she has a tiny head, but theyre still huge.

The salary is not that amazing,but it depends how much she's doing each month. But those on instagram, with the right connection gets more. But a cutesy cosplay japanese girl is limited in shoots regarding the type of.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
That feels pretty low. There's probably some Instagram models making a lot more, I guess they wouldn't count that since it's not salaries. I wonder if she just never tried to explore more outside of this agency stuff she currently does (or maybe they don't let her).

Instagram models are also paid by make-up, clothing, and other beauty product companies, and are essentially walking billboards. This is just looking at what her fans pay to take pictures of her.

-Stuart Smith
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
Neneko was reportedly earning $100,000 USD per month a couple of years ago, so it's hard for me to imagine this is the "No.1 Cosplayer" in most respects. Also sounds like her agency is probably not that great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1