• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and worst) Anime of Spring 2018

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Worst: Tada Never Falls in Love
This is far from the absolute worst of this season

Then why chose it?
I read the arguments and all, but why not chose THE absolute worst?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it would have to be My hero as best, for runner up it would be Cutie Honey Universe(which I think did a better job than Crybaby by keeping a lot of the original themes intact), I do not have a worst, but it there was a show i enjoyed the least, it would be Golden Kamuy, mostly due to it's production values, CG bear and ugly backgrounds.
Nodz wrote:
Quote:

Then why chose it?
Maybe they dislike it more, so even though it is not as bad as something else, they still dislike it more.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Quote:

Then why chose it?

Most people don't pick what they don't fully watch.

No surprise Hinamatsuri showed up 5 times. It was the surprise hit this season
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Full Metal Panic IV has been my favorite show of the season so far.

Best: Megalobx
Runner-up: Hinamatsuri
Least good: Cutie Honey Universe

Nodz wrote:
Quote:

Then why chose it?

I think this is an unfortunate function of the critics watching very few shows beyond what they review. I wish the term Worst was changed to least favorite or least good. Tadakoi is no way, no how the most terrible show of this season.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Megalo Box and Hinamatsuri were excellent, and I am glad they got so many mentions. Nice to see a GeGeGe no Kitaro and Food Wars! third plate mention too. My Hero Aca at this point is just brilliant, as usual. Love that Bones animation.

Glad I was right in putting Cutie Honey Universe and Tadakoi on indefinite hold, and not watching Caligula or Magical girl ore AT ALL

Might give Kakuriyo and Golden Kamuy second chances.

Other surpise favorites: UmaMusume, Comic girls (still not caught up though), and gdi-why-do-these-episodes-pass-so-quickly Persona 5 (coming from someone who didn’t play the game).

Good season, good times!
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Best:My Hero Academia; it's not like anything can compete with MHA in my mind. It's reach such heights this season, it's unbeatable

Runner-up: Legend of the galatic heroes

Worst: None.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Worst: Magical Girl Ore
One episode in the middle in particular that focuses on a side character and his brothers rushing to complete the animation work on the episode and battling some giant monster tries to be funny and meta but just comes across as confusing.

The lowest point? The disastrous episode 5, in which some side characters abandoned the main plot in order to have an inside-baseball tantrum about the anime industry.

So I'm the only one who actually liked this episode then? That's a shame, being the heavily interested anime staff contributor I am, I actually found it enjoyable among all the messiness. And putting aside the anime industry related stuff, the subtle joke about the American military using Saki and Sakuyo as their secret weapons against Chizilla after they spent all episode vacationing in Okinawa was absolutely perfect.

Quote:
Runner-up: Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits
I had a very hard time deciding which of these shows to put first, but the precipitous drop in animation quality in Kakuriyo ended up making the decision for me. Kitaro consistently looks gorgeous. Kakuriyo suffers from serious derp, which increases as it goes on.

In the ongoing between Toei and GONZO for better animation quality, Toei wins.

So did Nick watch only two anime this season or does he just not have a pick for worst?

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
Glad I was right in putting Cutie Honey Universe and Tadakoi on indefinite hold, and not watching Caligula or Magical girl ore AT ALL

Might give Kakuriyo and Golden Kamuy second chances.

These rankings are just opinions; they are not a directive on what to watch. Feel free to watch whatever catches your attention, regardless of what we think about.
eely225

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
How did Gurazeni not make the list?? It's almost as if no one watched it!

Oh wait...
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:
How did Gurazeni not make the list?? It's almost as if no one watched it!

Oh wait...

You mean best or worse? Cause it did make worse in one spot.

There's part of Gurazeni that I really like, I never watched a show that respected it's subject more than Gurazeni respect professional baseball. It's clear the person loves baseball but isn't infatuated with it to the point where it cloud there understanding. I love that the main character is an average player, not the super star or underdog or anything like that and also just his personality in general is really fun, honestly probably my favorite MC of the season. I love that it takes the time to explain the detail and minutia.

But the actual writing is poor (I think they repeat "there's money under the mound" 5+ time in the first episode alone, and then multiple time every episode), the baseball is boring, partially because it uses poor CG model and partially because it never actually show a full game (with many game literally staying unfinished and we don't even learn the final results). And baseball is also a sport that's getting less popular with time (imo for good reason), so even if they did play full game I don't think it would have been that interesting.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Best: MHA, Franxx

Worst: Dorei-ku. Now there's a series I wish got reviews;
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
My best: Wotakoi
Runner-up: Kakuriyo
Worst: Caligula

I can understand why someone put Tada-kun in worst IT WAS A REALLY FRUSTRATING SHOW!!! spoiler[I mean, around 8 episodes there were nothing about Tada and Teresa, and suddenly Tada was in love with her in epi 9 when they had almost zero interaction, it was so random.] The show was focused on the wrong side and then they remember that the show was about Tada, and made some episodes to fulfill the purpose of the show

Aalso, it was never explicitly mentioned why tada never falls in love, I mean i have some ideas but it wasnt really an issue during the show apart from him being apathic towards Teresa an Alec at first... In the end, the show seemed not to being well planed
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Best: Rokuhōdō Yotsuiro Biyori
This show was the absolute best. Every episode put a smile on my face. Some episodes made me tear up. The food looked gorgeous. Actually the show looked great overall. My favorite character was the sweets lover Tsubaki. I also loved Kinako (the best cat of the season) who will give you patt on the back when you are stressing out. This show was 100% underrated. It is a sweet slice of life show that will relax you any day.

Runner up: Butlers x Battlers

Worst: Magical Girl Ore
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I only watched Magical Girl Ore and Megalo Box this season, soooooooo I'm pretty sure you can determine how I'd rank them.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm going to watch any simulcasts at all next season, outside of one exception. I want to protest the hyperconsumption attitude currently promoted by Crunchyroll and the other streaming services, as well as the squalid conditions of the animators working on these shows. Twisted Evil
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It's been a weak season for me, especially compared to the previous one. There's really nothing that stood out for me nor interests me that much personally. I'm not as impressed as others by the first episode of Hinamatsuri and so I've been putting it on hold, might wanna check that out later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3