• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Juana and the Dragonewt's Seven Kingdoms GNs 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
I jumped into this as soon as I realized how long it had been since the first volume's release. I'm a little disappointed it's only three volumes because there's a lot of potential for world building and character development that would make this a truly memorable experience. The story of the spoiler[wealthy spoiled dragonewt whose family and friends abandoned him once he was found to be ill and his riches ran dry] did make me cry a bit, especially since spoiler[only Juana could tell he finally passed away while Nid was oblivious as hell]. Volume 2's spoiler[circus freak ringmaster with the easily triggered "if a pet doesn't obey me, I snap" berserk button] certainly reminds us of similar folks who would use others to get what they want. It's a shame this story is concluding next volume, because there is so much potential here. Doesn't help that this is a decent story about dragon people; these types of stories are pretty rare in fiction, much less manga.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I jumped into this as soon as I realized how long it had been since the first volume's release. I'm a little disappointed it's only three volumes because there's a lot of potential for world building and character development that would make this a truly memorable experience. The story of the spoiler[wealthy spoiled dragonewt whose family and friends abandoned him once he was found to be ill and his riches ran dry] did make me cry a bit, especially since spoiler[only Juana could tell he finally passed away while Nid was oblivious as hell]. Volume 2's spoiler[circus freak ringmaster with the easily triggered "if a pet doesn't obey me, I snap" berserk button] certainly reminds us of similar folks who would use others to get what they want. It's a shame this story is concluding next volume, because there is so much potential here. Doesn't help that this is a decent story about dragon people; these types of stories are pretty rare in fiction, much less manga.

Agreed. I'm disappointed too. I thought we had seven kingdoms to go through. I wonder if the series was cancelled or if it was always intended to be this short. As a result there isn't much time for character growth as I was hoping to see Nid step up and grow into his role as Juana's protector. Possibly forcing him to embrace his carnivore roots or at least bring someone along who could.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Agreed. I'm disappointed too. I thought we had seven kingdoms to go through. I wonder if the series was cancelled or if it was always intended to be this short. As a result there isn't much time for character growth as I was hoping to see Nid step up and grow into his role as Juana's protector. Possibly forcing him to embrace his carnivore roots or at least bring someone along who could.

Yeah, the title is a little misleading, and it gave me that impression too. Seven kingdoms could have meant a large slew of characters to meet, and Nid and Juana having others to travel with would have opened up all kinds of perspectives. I guess having "Seven Kingdoms" in there is just to make it sound fancy and attention-grabbing at the bookstore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1