• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Brave Fencer Musashi Game Series Celebrates 20 Years with Special Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, this was a great game. Light RPG elements, and the action stuff was fun.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Coolness! I played this game back in the day. I don't think I want to go back to 'Steamwood'. Oh gawd. I have a few of their comics. I was surprised to find all 3 books. Ookuni Kenichi, really great solid art. I gave my copy away to my friend. Loved, loved the soundtrack as I have tracks on my mobile phone.

My old friend and I had a discussion about the artwork behind BFM. I was shocked to learn that it was Nomura responsible for character designs. I can't say I ever saw his name on packaging of BFM products. Credits of course.

If you haven't played this game I highly recommend, I you have no problem with the dated CG, find it and play it. It is a lot of fun.

Now would I want to see this game updated? Hmmm...so long as they leave certain mechanics and designs in place. It's probably easier to update a game that's already CG than trying to take something that used game mechanics from the SNES and transfer it to a higher grade for our current consoles. Like what they did with 'Mana'.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I NEED a Brave Fencer Musashi remake, or even a third installment.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I NEED a Brave Fencer Musashi remake, or even a third installment.

I think a lot of people did. Especially after the 2nd installment. Not my cup of tea in design but it found a home among fans.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I was a Sega kid first and Nintendo kid second during the '90s, but both over Sony. I have quite a love-hate relationship with the PS1. It did indeed have great games, and Brave Fencer Musashi is one of them. It sure got me through several weekends during middle school (at least when I wasn't playing Sonic, Mario, Zelda, or WWF Warzone/Attitude). I still have it around now, but have since switched to using the PS2 for playing my PS1 games in component video. I haven't played Brave Fencer Musashi in a while; maybe I might fire it up again.

I REALLY wanted a Saturn and N64 but got the latter and a PS1 instead when these consoles were new; I've only had a Saturn for the better part of the past year. I despise how Sony went and rolled over Nintendo and Sega, though. Nintendo, Sega, Atari, SNK? Those were all dedicated video game companies. Sony? They're a general electronics giant! They barely make games for their own consoles! When they first released the PS1, Sony was known for TVs, stereos, VCRs (what we had before DVDs and Blu-ray, for the Tide Pod generation), and other crap that wasn't video games! Then they came along and fucked things up for the REAL game companies! Atari called it quits on consoles after the Jaguar bombed. To be fair, though, Sega and Nintendo did shoot themselves in the foot. Sega made the Saturn too expensive (though not 3DO-expensive) and hard to program games for, and it also couldn't do 3D as well as the other consoles. Nintendo was so stupid as to use cartridges in an era of optical discs; no wonder Square cucked them by going over to Sony when it came time to make Final Fantasy 7. They also clearly didn't learn from the 32X debacle as the 64DD proved (something only Japan got). And SNK? They just did their own thing and didn't directly compete with the other companies. How could they when the SNK was something richers had and super-geeks took second jobs for?

That said, I'd love to see a HD remaster of Brave Fencer Musashi. Release it on Steam, throw in some promo items for Team Fortress 2 (not that I really play that anymore, given the hours I've logged in Fallout: New Vegas for the last two years), and I'll be a happy man.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Now would I want to see this game updated? Hmmm...so long as they leave certain mechanics and designs in place. It's probably easier to update a game that's already CG than trying to take something that used game mechanics from the SNES and transfer it to a higher grade for our current consoles. Like what they did with 'Mana'.

At least redo the inventory system. There's no reason why you should be limited to so few items, nor why like items should be counted separately. Don't tell us the system can't handle it. We were able to get hundreds of Rare Candies, Master Balls, and other rare goodies via the Missing No. glitch in the original Pokémon games and that was on a weak-ass handheld!

I came to Brave Fencer Musashi through a demo. Liked it so much that I asked my parents to buy me the game. This was hot off of finishing Ocarina of Time, and BFM is like the Zelda games in many ways, so I went with it. It did not disappoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1