• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Anime Staff Feel About Working On Controversial Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
You got to be an adult about. Quit if you feel bad about it. Done.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:

what?
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
Mhora wrote:

what?

Basically: if it’s your job, at times you have to suck it up and do the work even if you might not like the content. So if you’re an animator, you’re really in no place to complain about the show you’re working on because it’s how you’re going to get paid and you don’t have to watch it anyway. Otherwise, just find another studio to work for.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
In what reality was Mirai Nikki controversial? The only upsetting thing about that series was how stupid and unrealistic the characters were.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
In what reality was Mirai Nikki controversial? The only upsetting thing about that series was how stupid and unrealistic the characters were.

In epi. 22, spoiler[we had Yuki sucking Yuno's breast in a sex scene. They were maybe 14 at that point in the series].

[Edit: changed quote tag to spoiler ~ Zalis]
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:

The controversy with Mirai Nikki was because of the extreme graphic violence and gore.
Many people were turn off by that and complained that was too much.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dey21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
"Like everything in life and the anime business... it depends."

First sentence. You don't have to read whole article.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Onda Aka struggles with voicing a hentai part in this episode of REC. In the end she does it because she's a professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0KQnRJd0hg
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
A lot of seiyuu use pseudonyms for adult roles.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Plus, it depends on the nature of the "controversy"... Western fandom is social media oriented, which tends to amplify controversy and minority opinions. (And there's more than a few tastemakers that deliberately and with malice aforethought court controversy for the attention it brings.) It's also embedded in a culture that has an unfortunate tendency to seek out offense.

Thus many thing which loom large in the West aren't noticeably controversial in Japan.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm more curious about people that animate hentai... I wouldn't doubt some of them have families. Imagine going home to your spouse and kids after animating a scene in Boku no Pico...
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Basically: if it’s your job, at times you have to suck it up and do the work even if you might not like the content. So if you’re an animator, you’re really in no place to complain about the show you’re working on because it’s how you’re going to get paid and you don’t have to watch it anyway. Otherwise, just find another studio to work for.

Except you'll likely experience the same situation, so your only choice is to be your own boss, either freelance or creating your own studio with like-minded people.

DerekL1963 wrote:
Plus, it depends on the nature of the "controversy"... Western fandom is social media oriented, which tends to amplify controversy and minority opinions. (And there's more than a few tastemakers that deliberately and with malice aforethought court controversy for the attention it brings.) It's also embedded in a culture that has an unfortunate tendency to seek out offense.

Thus many thing which loom large in the West aren't noticeably controversial in Japan.

Considering that Japanese media can be just as, if not more sensationalist than the West, I can conclude while things tend to be conveyed differently, it's all inherently the same. Indeed, with social media, you get BBS discussions with literally hundreds of pages over the littlest aspects of an actor, idol, etc.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I'm more curious about people that animate hentai... I wouldn't doubt some of them have families. Imagine going home to your spouse and kids after animating a scene in Boku no Pico...

You would be amazed.

Seiyuu tend to have a different name when voice acting on hentai/ Visual novels but that is because they are viewed as idols and we all know how the "purity" of idols are important and even if is only using the voice, that would have be a problem for the idol otakus.

But for the other people evolved in making the hentai anime is the same as any other anime. No problems about it.

Many animators and mainstream manga artists start in hentai manga and doujinshi, and you can still find some of them on events like Comiket selling doujinshi from their circles.
And many are married and have kids. Even loli and shota manga artists that is so controversial in the west. are married and have kids. Sometimes even work as teams of husband/wife drawing loli and shota manga. Many of those artist are female.

Is just a different culture.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Peter Payne from jlist wrote a short blog post wrote something similar in this regard: https://www.jlist.com/blog/your-friend-in-japan/japan-doesnt-worry-about-hentai/

Simply put. It's work, be professional. That said, it's kind of baffling how I've seen some smaller companies on our side of the market take stances or make objections midway through a contract because they later found out there was objectionable content that they weren't comfortable with. While I would understand this for works that are still in production but works that have already been published for a while and are being localized make a bit less sense to me.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Answerman is one of the many reasons why I am getting my anime news feed from this site.

It will be interesting if Justin Sevakis makes an article about all the interesting and weird situations he experienced throughout his career.

Please Justin make it a five part per week tribute article or something...!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2