• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I've seen none of the Tenchi movies. Suggestions?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Basically, are they all worth watching? How many are there even? What are the going prices for them?

I've just seen the classic OVAs, Universe, and In Tokyo.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
There are three, Tench Muyo in Love; Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 and Daughter of Darkness. I've only seen the first which is worth watching.

The current edition is all three available in a DVD/Bluray combo pack. TRSI quoted me a cost of $52.49. Earlier DVD versions may be available cheaper on the secondary market.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Most people do consider the first movie (Tenchi Muyo! In Love) to be the best, and it's a very strong title. It's a continuation of the Universe storyline.

I personally really like the second movie (Daughter of Darkness/Midsummer's Eve). It's apparently based on a light novel, but doesn't really take place in either the Ryo-Ohki (OAV) or Universe (TV) storylines. Kiyone is in it, which would lend one to think it's Universe, but it also has the hot springs which only exists in Ryo-Ohki. Personally, I take it as a stand-alone entry, and as long as you're familiar with the characters and setting, no other viewing is necessary.

As for the third movie (Tenchi Forever/Tenchi Muyo! In Love 2: Distant Memories)... I never liked it. Officially it's a sequel to the first movie, but it has a much different feel. Gone is the slapstick comedy and action, replaced with pure romance and melodrama. It reminded me a bit of Tenchi in Tokyo (which I also didn't like).
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
All three movies are good. Better than In Tokyo by far. I prefer the 3rd movie for being dramatic and heartfelt, but a lot of people hate it for the same reasons.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Daughter of Darkness (also known as Manatsu No Eve) is my personal favorite.

In Love is good....but it does drag a tiny bit.

I don't like Forever.....I just don't.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked In Tokyo at the time, but it's been ages. Thanks, for some reason I thought there were more than three movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1