• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maquia Film Earns US$161,000 at U.S. Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Is this good? can someone tell me?
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:

I understand what you're saying, you want to know if it's a "good" movie or at least well made so can determine if it's worth the time to watch it, possibly purchase a ticket. However you're only going to be getting the opinions of strangers on the internet, so I wouldn't let anyone here determine for you if the movie is good or bad. It's all subjective and anime communities have a lot of passionate opinions, often either saying how something is the greatest thing ever or the worst "trash" ever made. Sometimes of course there's mixed reactions and discussions. Either way, it's best to determine if you like/dislike something for your self at the end day in my opinion.

As for this movie, I'm planning on seeing it soon. The trailer looks interesting to me and I'm excited to see it.
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Ambrose7 wrote:

I understand what you're saying, you want to know if it's a "good" movie or at least well made so can determine if it's worth the time to watch it, possibly purchase a ticket. However you're only going to be getting the opinions of strangers on the internet, so I wouldn't let anyone here determine for you if the movie is good or bad. It's all subjective and anime communities have a lot of passionate opinions, often either saying how something is the greatest thing ever or the worst "trash" ever made. Sometimes of course there's mixed reactions and discussions. Either way, it's best to determine if you like/dislike something for your self at the end day in my opinion.

As for this movie, I'm planning on seeing it soon. The trailer looks interesting to me and I'm excited to see it.

I was actually asking whether the numbers were good or not but I can see that I wasn't clear. My bad. But from your first line, I have a feeling you already knew that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
^It's fairly decent given the number of theaters and limited release. But yeah, I feel you. It's hard to know with releases like this whether or not you're looking at good or bad numbers because they are so much smaller than anything that gets a wide release.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The question of whether or not its box office take is 'good' depends on your perspective.

But from the perspective of the licensor, it's irrelevant.

I believe Answerman tackled this in detail, but long story short is that a 'Theatrical Release' is often part of the licensing contract.

So limited releases like these, regardless of whether or not they make money, is obligatory in a legal sense.

The expected revenue comes from the home video disc sales.

The theatrical runs are basically considered marketing expenses with the hopes of at least covering their costs.

Sometimes, depending on the title, a theatrical run is a necessary prerequisite for Awards - notably for the Oscars, usually with a hope of at least a nomination amongst the Best Animated Film Categories, which helps for marketing purposes to put the Academy Awards Nominee sticker on your box art. But there are plenty of other awards shows as well, so it helps give your title acclaim, which they hope spurs sales.

So considering it's limited run and the number of theatres it released in. I'm sure they're pleased with the results, in that they are within expectations.

As for the movie itself, I caught a screening in Canada. It's very nice and heartfelt. A story of family and motherhood told within a fantasy setting. So it falls more into the 'slice of life' category than it would action/fantasy. If that's your thing, I highly recommend it!
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Well at least they were able to make a profit from the limited showing. I know I loved the film when I saw it a while back and I definitely plan to see it again in the dub. This time I'm gonna try and convince some more friends to see it with me.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:

Probably okay considering how few theaters actually exhibited the film.
The theater I saw it in was about half-full but far from the largest exhibition hall I've sat in.

The film itself was okay but nothing I'm going to add to my library.
Very middle-of-the road film technically.

It's worth a rental. It's a sad little story but aside from that I don't think it revolutionized anything. It's a competent film but it doesn't have any fantastic artistic ambitions and no great action sequences, either. Aside from nice little colors what about it couldn't have been done in live-action?
Sad to say I've seen anime features from the 1980s that were FAR more ambitious than this film and had much more impressive animation in them, too.
It would have come and gone without much notice if Mari Okada hadn't been attached to it...
<Sigh> I know I'm going to get people ticked off at me but honestly what do you think really think stands out about that film and are you really that anxious to see it again in English?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Sometimes, depending on the title, a theatrical run is a necessary prerequisite for Awards - notably for the Oscars, usually with a hope of at least a nomination amongst the Best Animated Film Categories, which helps for marketing purposes to put the Academy Awards Nominee sticker on your box art.

Y'know, it is going to sting like hell when Maquia isn't nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, but Hotel Transylvania 3 is.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Ambrose7 wrote:

The theater I saw it in was about half-full but far from the largest exhibition hall I've sat in.

It's worth a rental. It's a sad little story but aside from that I don't think it revolutionized anything. It's a competent film but it doesn't have any fantastic artistic ambitions and no great action sequences, either. Aside from nice little colors what about it couldn't have been done in live-action?
Sad to say I've seen anime features from the 1980s that were FAR more ambitious than this film and had much more impressive animation in them, too.
It would have come and gone without much notice if Mari Okada hadn't been attached to it...
<Sigh> I know I'm going to get people ticked off at me but honestly what do you think really think stands out about that film and are you really that anxious to see it again in English?

I haven't seen the film yet but based on the trailer....... it DIDN'T impress you animation wise? Your either spouting bullshit or the scenes shown in the trailer were the top tier scenes of the movie and everything else didn't look nearly as good.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Ambrose7 wrote:

As a mom of two little boys I can’t even think about the concept without tearing up. Somehow, I missed the sub release, so I’m super excited for the dub in September. I’m expecting there to be tears.

You may just not be the target audience - I’m gearing up for mom feels.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:

I haven't seen the film yet but based on the trailer....... it DIDN'T impress you animation wise? Your either spouting bullshit or the scenes shown in the trailer were the top tier scenes of the movie and everything else didn't look nearly as good.

While art is very subjective, and different animation does appeal to different people(good and bad animation can be quantified though), I've gotta heartily disagree with George. The film is quite appealing visually. In terms of the backgrounds, it is absolutely the pinnacle of PA and Higashiji's work. Breathtaking in pretty much every scene and something they obviously focused on very deliberately. It's an extremely well realized setting visually, even if its importance narratively is minimal.
Animation-wise, it was also solidly put together. CG integration is decent and overall movement is about what you'd expect for an anime film, with a couple of pretty notable highlights including dragons in the beginning, and a running sequence that is excellent stuff. the film as a whole is not going to blow your socks off, if you're a sakuga buff, but if you're interested in production in general, you will definitely appreciate what they created.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I went to see Maquia at a Cineplex two weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. Gorgeous animation, background and settings and I really liked the drama and the parental aspect of the story.

Unless you're expecting DragonBall or an action movie, go spend the 10 dollars to see it. It's well worth it and we should support theatres going out of their way to present these types of releases.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Where is it still playing? I thought it played for only a week over a month ago...(I missed it, unfortunately)
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:

The per theatre average isn't great, which is the barometer limited releases are held to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1