• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation's Tsurune Archery Anime Reveals More of Cast & Staff in 2nd Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 am Reply with quote
Sooooo... Free! with archery?
cosain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

nah piss off, not everything kyotani has to be "like" Free leave that crap out of this archery anime goodness.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
I'm just annoyed because Free wasn't even the first "pretty boys do stuff" anime, but so many people seem to think it was. I've even seen people claiming that Free kicked off Hirakawa Daisuke's career as a seiyuu, and like... guys... I know you're probably young and haven't been watching anime for very long but at least check his wikipedia page or something...

(It's starting to be the same with Yuuri on Ice, too...)
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:11 am Reply with quote
These people usually mention Free! or YoI because those were very succesfull anime even though they weren't the target audience and now studios dare to make even more shows like this (Oh the humanity!)...well, i for one am looking forward to this.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
This looks really good, I'm looking forward to it.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:36 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I've even seen people claiming that Free kicked off Hirakawa Daisuke's career as a seiyuu

That actually kind of upsets me because he’s had a fantastic career for years before Free! ever even came out. I’ve been following him ever since he played Franz and that was 14 years ago.

Anyway, I’m super excited for this series to air. I’m looking forward to watching some beautiful animation about an elegantly beautiful sport. And I’ve been really into Ishikawa lately and I’m happy for Asanuma showing up again too. (Yeah, seiyuu are definitely my priority.) Anime hyper
AA751

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

No, it's nothing like Free. It focuses much more on the sport, and it's not really slice of life.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I'm just annoyed because Free wasn't even the first "pretty boys do stuff" anime, but so many people seem to think it was.

I believe it's an exaggeration, the thing is, at least to me, Free is the first KyoAni's "pretty boys do stuff", which in itself is really something. KyoAni's "cute girls doing cute things" titles are mostly well-received (at least by the CGDCT fandom). They got quality animation, easily-likeable (cute) character design, detailed and consistent character animation, decent plot (at least with the purpose of serving the fandom with fanservice subtexts or moe things). Well, for some reason, this studio just seemed to know what the CGCDT fandom wants, and when they decided to make one for the female audience, supported by their technical merits above, they nailed it as well. There's something in their cute girls/pretty boys works that is quite significantly different to other/previous works in the same genre.

So I'd say Free is the first one in some sense that eventually makes it stands out, though being the first one generally is definitely an exaggeration.
tenshi-ruushii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about the pace of the following story.. I hope it'll surprise us a little with some original twists Smile
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
While there were anime before Free that heavily featured bishounen characters, those were usually shoujo anime and not the type of show a studio like KyonAni would typically produce. So while Free might not be the first, it did popularize the fujoshi movement and made it more mainstream.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Really hope Netflix doesn’t snatch this one too. Though honestly it wouldn’t surprise me after Violet Evergarden’s success and popularity. If they do, and simuldub worldwide, they’d better include America on that list.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While there were anime before Free that heavily featured bishounen characters, those were usually shoujo anime and not the type of show a studio like KyonAni would typically produce.

Nope. I mean, aside of the already existing pretty boys doing stuff shows, you do realize that there was actual BL anime out there, on TV, before Free came out, yes? The only thing Free had that other shows before didn't was the budget and the KyoAni branding that made it more visible to people who would have normally not even noticed it. That, and the hilarious fanboy outrage providing it with even more hype.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So while Free might not be the first, it did popularize the fujoshi movement and made it more mainstream.

It absolutely didn't. Why do you think Free was even made in the first place? Do you think they would have made it if they didn't know there was a massive audience for this sort of stuff out there? There's no such thing as "fujoshi movement", women have been buying and creating content with pretty boys being various levels of homoerotic for literally ages by the time Free came out. It's just taken a long, long time for producers to come around and notice that there's this segment of the market that is willing to sink tons of money into stuff they like, and so are worth catering to.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It does get annoying when people compare anything with pretty boys, or anime that focuses on guys for the female gaze to Free!. But I will say, male characters as a focus and not solely/wholly aimed at a male audience is pretty unique and still very fresh for KyoAni. Wish they did more, or at least that they'd make a show with a mixed gender cast and let the fanservice go both ways. (I mean, Hyouka had the one scene, but even that the director couldn't get away with getting more out of the animators.)

I'm really looking forward to this! I love media that focuses on traditional arts and sports of any culture, and the characters sound fun enough, and I love the designs. Kaito almost sounds like he's going to be to Rin 2.0, and I doubt that's the case in the LN, but I wonder if the anime will manage to differentiate them.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited to experience this sport through KyoAni's lush animation.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
I’ve been following him ever since he played Franz and that was 14 years ago.

oh my god, that was 14 years ago already?

anyway, this looks nice. knowing KyoAni, i wonder if the way they animate the sports action will be dynamic but then again it's just archery so probably not. the vibe i'm getting from this show is a slow burn type of drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2