• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Umineko: When They Cry Game Gets Kickstarter for English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
Dubbing a whole VN? Whew, that's a spicy goal.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
Ohhh, that is one heck of a endeavor! I hope this Kickstarter is a success.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
I remember playing this back in the day with the Witch Hunt translation, and by Episode 3 it barely read like English. Has it been revised since then? To a better-than-NISA level, I mean.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:50 am Reply with quote
No way to express my excitement. Honestly, I'm most excited about the audiobook? And whatever the new content is, of course!
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Oh my god. You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for someone to dub Umineko. The whole VN, new content, and an audio book? Sign me up.

The trailer is already impressive! Loving the cast so far~
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
I really don't see the point of dubbing a visual novel, but whatever. It's good to see Umineko get more attention in the West. I just wish they ported it to consoles.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I love it, just love it! But... I never saw this version of the game! With all that movement and playing with the letters... This version existed before? O.o I mean, I saw a little for the PS3 and it was like the regular novel, without all that animatic.

If this version is going to be like this the entire time I'll pay even if my native language it's not english! Anime hyper
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
I really don't see the point of dubbing a visual novel, but whatever. It's good to see Umineko get more attention in the West. I just wish they ported it to consoles.

same here but like I'm not against it at all. I hope this eventually leads to the second season of the anime.
One thing that has me intrigued is the
Quote:
New content directly from Ryukishi07
As much as I enjoyed the ending I always thought it was bittersweetspoiler[ the body of Battler survived but the 'battler' persona was effectively dead with no chance of return due to Tohya's fear of being erased. IMO Battler should merge without erasing Tohya's personality and then he, Ange and Ikuko can live happily as a family or go around vanquishing evil 'witches']
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
One thing that has me intrigued is the
Quote:
New content directly from Ryukishi07
As much as I enjoyed the ending I always thought it was bittersweetspoiler[ the body of Battler survived but the 'battler' persona was effectively dead with no chance of return due to Tohya's fear of being erased. IMO Battler should merge without erasing Tohya's personality and then he, Ange and Ikuko can live happily as a family or go around vanquishing evil 'witches']

The ending is a bit sad, however I don't think it should be changed. spoiler[Its tragic Battler and Ange could never resume their relationship, but it feels right that Battler doesn't leave that Endless October. The very last scene where Battler rejoins Beatrice and his loving family always makes me cry, but I wouldn't have it any other way.]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I'm rather impressed by this endeavor and wish the team/kick-starter the best of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Count me in after looking at the cast which has some well known veteran voice actors; Brittney Karbowski, Josh Grelle, Cynthia Cranz, Kent Williams, Wendy Powell & Bill Jenkins.
As well as some newer actors that are getting bigger like Sarah Wiedenheft & Amanda Lee.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I remember playing this back in the day with the Witch Hunt translation, and by Episode 3 it barely read like English. Has it been revised since then? To a better-than-NISA level, I mean.

It got masterfully retranslated as a whole for the Steam release. Go check it out.

Anyway, besides being hyperliteral here and there, I've always find it to be one of the better fantranslations around to this day. I wouldn't call it "barely english", just call it Umineko too ridiculous complex to translate before you get the full context of things.

Last edited by danpmss on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I am so super excited about this. I CAN NOT WAIT to see this kickstarter get posted and see what I can buy.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Anyway, besides being hyperliteral here and there, I've always find it to be one of the better fantranslations around to this day. I wouldn't call it "barely english", just call it Umineko too ridiculous complex to translate before you get the full context of things.

My issues were mainly with the more mundane dialogue sometimes sounding like something that came out of a machine that didn't properly understand either spoken Japanese or spoken English. If I have to translate a line back into Japanese in my head to comprehend it, it's a problem (and kind of exhausting, besides).

Good to hear it's been fixed in the years since, though. I may finally get around to crossing it off my list.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Anything Umineko I'm hyped for!!! More art and content HELL YES! And there is possibility of merch too??? YAY
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2