• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Court: YouTube Must Help Regulate Text Manga Spoilers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Instead of posting the actual but just a summary of what was said (for each uploaded video), this YT account could perhaps find a loophole around piracy.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I do not know if that is so much a loophole as one giving their view on the events of the manga chapter. Either way, I am more concerned about how this will affect YouTube's policies going forward. One of the questions about YouTube and other social media sites is whether they are platforms or publishers. A platform just hosts the content; it does not censor or have a say in what goes on it, which is what a publisher would do.
Adv193

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I am worried about is if the Japanese publishers decide to ban Manga spoilers whether it uses the original imagery or not. I only look at summary information for One Piece on Youtube and then look at the actual chapter when it is released on VIZ's WSJ.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
I do not know if that is so much a loophole as one giving their view on the events of the manga chapter. Either way, I am more concerned about how this will affect YouTube's policies going forward. One of the questions about YouTube and other social media sites is whether they are platforms or publishers. A platform just hosts the content; it does not censor or have a say in what goes on it, which is what a publisher would do.

except YT has removed content in past for specific topics and stuff.

YT is a lot less "free" than it was in the past few years.
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
The user better hope he was using a vpn, otherwise this is going to get messy .
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
One of the questions about YouTube and other social media sites is whether they are platforms or publishers. A platform just hosts the content; it does not censor or have a say in what goes on it, which is what a publisher would do.

That ship sailed a long time ago - YouTube and other social media sites have been proactively regulating content and behavior for years.

They're publishers.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
The only thing I am worried about is if the Japanese publishers decide to ban Manga spoilers whether it uses the original imagery or not. I only look at summary information for One Piece on Youtube and then look at the actual chapter when it is released on VIZ's WSJ.

That really shouldn't bother yoy considering as with how popular One Piece is you can find spoilers in other places...... compared to something like Hajime no Ippo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1