• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
*sound of jaw hitting the floor*

I was carefully keeping an ember of hope alive for a UY release in English, but I am truly astonished it is happening. Bravo, Viz. You can expect my money day 1.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, after 20 some years. I just hope it's not 20 years too late.

Buying them anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll find the money for this. No problem.

Mark Gosdin
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
About damn time
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This will be their third try. I wonder how far into the series they will get this time.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Very nice. The first time Viz put out UY (under the name Lum: Urusei Yatsura) in the very late 80s I was pretty much hooked immediately. So much so, that when Viz canned it after 8 48-page issues I discovered in the first issue of Shonen Sunday I bought (Advance Comics started distributing them in the US in 1990) an ad for the widebans, 15 of them.

So, even though my language skills would make a Japanese 1st grader giggle I ordered the first volume and the last three, and saw enough differences and new characters I ordered the rest of them from Nikaku Animart. That was back in 1991 and after 27 years they still hold up. Eventually bought the entire TV series, OAVs and movies on DVD as well.

Now Viz is going to try for a third time; I can understand new translations (and I am assuming new localizations, given original localizer Gerard Jones...uh, problems), but UY was at one time Viz' worst -selling title. Takahashi Rumiko's art was pretty basic in those days, given she had just started professionally a couple of months before UY, but it gradually got better and better until, IMO, some of her best artwork occurred during the final couple of years of the series.

Hell yes I want this! And this time, let's hope it gets finished! (now let's see new printings/new translations of Maison Ikkoku)
Supermutant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I have some of volumes released under Lum. So yeah I would love to get complete series.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
This will be their third try. I wonder how far into the series they will get this time.

I do hope that they finish it this time. Isn't it the only Rumiko Takahashi series that they've never completed (not including RIN-NE, of course)?

Theodore Relic wrote:
(now let's see new printings/new translations of Maison Ikkoku)

Seconded!
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
about time!!

I have heaps of random 2 chapter editions which was enough to make me really enjoy the series but I need the full story.
Toonces

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
After I saw Deb Aoki tweeting about Rumiko earlier this week, I actually thought about how this is one of her series I'd never read, watched or owned... I was kinda sad as I didn't think it'd get a rerelease. Pleasantly surprised, and I'll make sure to buy these and support the series!
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
If Viz is bring back old manga that weren't successful I wonder if this means we might get the REBORN Bunko Volumes here as well ? They been pretty successful in japan topping the amazon charts. if that happens I hope they actually get the character names right and give us a good translation this time Smile
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't expect this to happen.

But perhaps it's now the right time. There's been an increase in classic works being licensed, from Seven Seas' Devilman release to Kodansha bringing Leiji Matsumoto titles. The audience is possibly there, and they were running out of acclaimed, riskier titles to put out with Master Keaton done. The anniversary sure doesn't hurt.

Not sure If I'll pick this one up - I only ever liked reading Maison Ikkoku and the general consensus seems to be that the shorter works are better - but I'll definitely give this a shot through my library first.

dark13 wrote:
If Viz is bring back old manga that weren't successful I wonder if this means we might get the REBORN Bunko Volumes here as well ? They been pretty successful in japan topping the amazon charts. if that happens I hope they actually get the character names right and give us a good translation this time Smile

Keep on dreaming. The day Reborn comes back is the day that other cancelled titles like Gintama, Strawberry 100%, Descendents of Darkness (anybody remember that one? Not technically cancelled as it went on hiatus in Japan but Viz has not released any new chapters since its continuation) or Crimson Hero make their return.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="R. Kasahara"]
Alan45 wrote:

Exactly my thought.
WILL Viz actually finish all of Urusei Yatsura or will they fall back onto the pattern of cancelling the publication when the sales don't meet their projections? It happened twice with Urusei Yatsura. They finished every other long-running Takahashi series they licensed. Can't speak for Rin Ne -- I haven't followed it and you don't hear much about it anyway!

They cancelled at least 7 anime releases after a few volumes.

Goes without saying Takahashi is also far past the height of her popularity in the West, too.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, the third time’s the charm and we’ll be seeing the entire 34-volume series completed this time!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
Considering an earlier form of Viz had UY, the article should technically read "NEWS: Viz Media to Re-Release Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura Manga".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4