• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Men Arrested for Assault on NGT48 Idol Group Member Maho Yamaguchi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:39 am Reply with quote
These arrests for Idol girl groups go insane for criminal boys, we're they causing for stalking J-Pop idol girl groups becuase they want to rape the girls?

(sorry for my poor English)
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
Seriously these people need a reality check.
DCR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 am Reply with quote
No charges for stalking?

According to what she tweeted, a member of her group told those two men where she lives and when she comes home. Charming.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9250180.html
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
Seriously these people need a reality check.

Niigata prefecture has a population of call it two and a half million. Allow reasonable contributions from outside Niigata, and make a guess at fans-per-ten-thousand rates.

Now, how much income per fan is required to support forty-eight idols and their managers? Or, to put it another way: how much is each fan expected to contribute to keep the project running?
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

Niigata prefecture has a population of call it two and a half million. Allow reasonable contributions from outside Niigata, and make a guess at fans-per-ten-thousand rates.

Now, how much income per fan is required to support forty-eight idols and their managers? Or, to put it another way: how much is each fan expected to contribute to keep the project running?

I'm talking about the guys who assaulted the idol... Unless, you're justifying their action by saying they supported the group therefore assaulting them is fine, to where I say wtf dude.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
Definitely weird and should not be tolerated.
When you become famous unfortunately this is a side effect. Doesn't excuse the action, but reasonable security should be in place to keep this from happening.

On the plus side she wasn't hurt.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
DCR wrote:
No charges for stalking?

According to what she tweeted, a member of her group told those two men where she lives and when she comes home. Charming.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9250180.html

Sounds like another idol was jealous or had an axe to grind with her, it was a matter of time before something like this would happen.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
When is it NOT a big deal to just grab someone outside of their home? Fuckin idiots. I'm just glad it wasn't worse and their lucky af that she didn't press charges.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I imagine one (or both) of these idiots will probably post that he got to touch her face and that everyone else is jealous of him now.

Just another day in the vapid expanse of stupidity known as the idol fandom. Rolling Eyes
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
When is it NOT a big deal to just grab someone outside of their home? Fuckin idiots. I'm just glad it wasn't worse and their lucky af that she didn't press charges.

She's not the one who made that decision. The cops let the guys go, and the group tried to hush it up to avoid a scandal. She started talking about it during a live stream, which management cut off. The whole thing is showing us how corrupt the management is behind *48 groups.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Idols should stop being a thing, for their own safety. It's like #MeToo never made it to Japan.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Idols should stop being a thing, for their own safety. It's like #MeToo never made it to Japan.

#Metoo is mostly a witch hunt these days, it was good at first when it actually caught real monsters but now it's being used as a weapon for power or to get rid of folks out of pettiness (much like how that fellow idol of Maho's may have used information as a weapon of fear to get rid of Maho who was their competition for fame). What the idol industry needs are bodyguards and armed security, if you're going to treat idols like a national treasure then you must have type of security guarding them like such 24/7.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote

That's like saying movies should stop being a thing because an actor died on set while shooting. Overeaction to the max.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Criticism against the idol system is far older than #metoo. It's okay to be against the whole ridiculous system without trying to tie it into current movements.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
T.Silver wrote:

She's not the one who made that decision. The cops let the guys go, and the group tried to hush it up to avoid a scandal. She started talking about it during a live stream, which management cut off. The whole thing is showing us how corrupt the management is behind *48 groups.

Or maybe the police didn't have sufficient evidence, the victim chose not to precede with the complaint, or maybe it just didn't happen. Just because Person A accuses person B of an event, doesn't mean it happened.

People can and do lie all the time, and even when people don't in any stressful situation people often mistake or misprocess events. I recall a case study psychiatrists did at Keio U a few years back where participants were given 15 seconds to recall as much information about a scene played out on video, and there were told to spend five minutes recalling the events in their own head s before being interviewed ten minutes later (a total of 15 minutes after the end of the video viewing session). The end results were that 90% of the people interviewed failed to break through the 35% accuracy bracket.

I'm not stating one way or the other if these events occurred or not, but it is not exactly like the fine details of the accusation, and/or any follow up investigation details have been provided. In forty plus years in the media, the number of retractions and corrects I've had to make/approve for articles makes my head hurt after subsequent follow ups had shown details in crime reporting were from eye witness and/or persons involved details were inaccurate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2