• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Domestic Girlfriend (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 am Reply with quote

Domestic Girlfriend (TV)

Genres: drama, romance

Plot Summary: High schooler Natsuo is hopelessly in love with his cheerful and popular teacher, Hina. However, one day at a mixer, he meets a moody girl by the name of Rui and ends up sleeping with her. Soon after, his father announces that he's getting remarried to a woman with two daughters of her own. And who shows up in tow, other than both Hina and Rui.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1. I like it. I don't know anything abut the manga nor do I have any real expectations about how things... so many possible things... will play out. I like the cast and I like the characters which is always a great starting point for these kind of shows; I was on the fence about Hina until after some free association, I realized she was somewhat based on Ai Yori Ayoshi's Tina Foster; Lively, outspoken... heavy drinker and it's not like that one comes up often in the romance genre... she's someone who should clearly be "MC's best friend" but someone became a valid love interest through sheer force of being...

To be crass about it, she's not just flirty, she's thirsty. Title of episode 2 "By any chance, did we do it?" Getting blackout drunk around your new step brother/ close student and coming up with that as question at all would mean that in some way, you were kind of thinking about it yourself beforehand. "I don't know what I did but I do know what I wanted to do."

Yeah, we know, he should know and soon his sister WILL know.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So sensei is in a relationship with a married man, and at least for a bit makes out with her student who is also her stepbrother. Well she just got a lot more interesting.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
She obviously is just a kid mentally, even though she calls others out for being young / immature. I hope someone will call her out for that. I love the bantering and humor used in the second and third episode. It's a great way of balancing the soapy drama elements.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Hm, compared to the Quintuplets its more realistic and sort of adult, but Ep 3 is Swinging the Morale Mace now. And those (other) 5 Girls get a little more Personality. Will watch both if possible to see how it goes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I think that the worst exploitive romance anime are the kind that do things like build drama as say the guy is being a bit of a dick in taking advantage of a girl's insecurities. So it was kind of nice that this girl kind of threw herself at him, but Momo is clearly doing it because she hopelessly lonely, and the intimacy probably wouldn't actually be healthy for her. She was hurt seemingly taken advantage of because she thought sex was the only way to fill the hole in her heart.

Him treating her like a normal person by giving her the attention she needs to help with her loneliness, probably should not be congratulated as something super amazing. It should be normal to not want to take advantage of an emotionally vulnerable person for your own pleasure, but doesn't mean lots of people would. Hopefully Natsuo and Rui can be friends with Momo.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
he, we talk About japanese People, who (if you believe some Animes) doesnt interact that quick with each other. So for us West - lers it seems normal, but for Maybe not for them.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10
One shoe dropped... I do hope the other shoe drops before the end of the series, the really big one, the "I loved you for as long as I've known you... but I still had sex with your sister the day I met her" one. There are no situations where that has a pleasant outcome.

Rui may use it as a trump card. I'm not entirely sure I could support her if she misused it by employing it while angry or out of spite but I can readily accept a "these are your parameters and these are mine; Let's make it a clean fight" situation.

And how are there no times when Rui isn't cute? She's cute pouting, she's cute angry, she's even cute crying. She was especially cute when she gave Natsuo "The Look". I think she was going for a stare meaning "I accuse!" but ended up at "Pet me, pet me!" somehow. Laying her head down on her arms didn't help her attempt at making her look stern.

Hina... I just don't see it myself. She has moments of sexuality but I think Rui easily beats that by using sensuality. Or is it the other way? Oh...It reversed at some point, didn't it? Because we have Natsuo's POV and he finds most attractive what he can't have... even if the bra gets removed on the home release and the scene itself gets fully animated, it still wouldn't compensate for Hina just laying there, braless... but in jeans? Is she even trying now she has him?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And that is how it ends. After having a relationship with and sleeping with his teacher who is also his step sister, the school finds out and she manages to get away with sleeping with an underaged student by moving away, he makes a kick ass novel that he wins awards with, and now the step sister that is his age is going to continue to try and jump him. In the face of appearing pretty nice and not too crazy, some pretty messed up stuff happens that people should have known better to not let happen. The parents even know now that Hina was sleeping with him, and their questions is about whether they should have got married, not about whether something should have been done about what Hina did, maybe some sort of talk by acting like parents instead of just keep going "maybe we shouldn't have got married.

Yeah, it got trashy. But also a little bland instead of going full trash. If you are going to fall, do it spectacularly, give us something hot and forbidden. Not really sure what else to say about the show, it is not like some of the interesting bits in the middle seemed to have any real impact with the end, like the friends they got. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), didn't quite lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1