• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece Creator: The End is Near, But Series Will Be Just Over 100 Volumes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So it’s gonna be like something akin to Bleach when it was announced it was ending?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition, the show's host Sanma Akashiya also asked Oda what would happen if a fan managed to guess the same ending that Oda is writing. Oda replied that he would change the ending.

The true treasure of One Piece was the adventures we had and friends we made along the way.

There, now change it Oda Wink
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Quote:
In addition, the show's host Sanma Akashiya also asked Oda what would happen if a fan managed to guess the same ending that Oda is writing. Oda replied that he would change the ending.

The true treasure of One Piece was the adventures we had and friends we made along the way.

There, now change it Oda Wink

It was never that from the start, so there would be no reason to change anything. Laughing
---------
Oda is infamous for underestimating the time it would take to cover a part of the story. I believe he once said Skypiea was the halfway point of the story years ago. Anyone who follows these kind of updates should always take them with a grain of salt.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Felicity . . . what? Did you read the article?

'Something akin to Bleach'? Like . . . when it was announced it was ending? Like, every single manga ever when they are announced that they are ending? Naruto did it. Hitman Reborn did it. Fairy Tail did it. Tokyo Ghoul Re did it. I am so confused by your comment. Are you saying that you think it will be canceled and thus have a rushed ending like Bleach?

If that was the case, again, did you read the article?

Furthermore, before the hyperbolic comments come in, I would like to highlight Greg's tweet regarding Oda and timelines. There is likely going to be SEVERAL years left of One Piece. All this article really clears up is to not expect it to last another decade. Five years would be a good estimate. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
*just over 100 volumes* currently on the 88th volume...uhm, I assume he is using the extremely liberal form of "just over" as there doesnt seem a way at this point in time to even end it by the 120th volume, let alone 100th.

he has yet to make a fruit to bring back beloved characters from the grave in their original and true forms, and we still need our ASL finally joining together to be the true crew. It was what was promised in the beginning.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Get ready for the sequel series Two Piece....
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
We're at volume 91 right now, and Oda puts out four volumes a year, so assuming no hiatuses, we'll hit volume 100 in early 2021.

But I HIGHLY doubt the story is going to end around that time, given the number of plotlines left to wrap up, and the fact that OP's storylines tend to be quite long and complex these days, even by shonen standards.

Unless Oda decides to rush the ending, I don't think we'll be seeing a finale in less than four years.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
As long as Chopper and Jimbei don't die he can end it however he wants!
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
*just over 100 volumes* currently on the 88th volume...uhm, I assume he is using the extremely liberal form of "just over" as there doesnt seem a way at this point in time to even end it by the 120th volume, let alone 100th.

he has yet to make a fruit to bring back beloved characters from the grave in their original and true forms, and we still need our ASL finally joining together to be the true crew. It was what was promised in the beginning.

Correction: Volume 91 is the most recent volume out in Japan.
As for bringing back beloved characters, Oda reiterated on the tv special that spoiler[Ace isn't coming back.] It's time to move on. It's been almost 10 years.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Akashiya also asked Oda about the goal of the main characters in the story, the titular "One Piece" treasure. Akashiya asked if the treasure was "family bonds," and Oda replied, "No, I hate that kind of thing." Oda elaborated, saying, "That's like the ending of The Wizard of Oz, which I watched when I was a kid. Adventuring that long, and having the adventure itself be the treasure, is really dissatisfying. Those kinds of stories are impossible. It feels like, 'I've gone on this long adventure, so give me the treasure!'"

But - but Oda... isn’t the journey literally the point of One Piece???
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Interviewer: "will the real treasure be "family bonds"?"
Oda: "no, that's a lame cop-out

Awesome! I'm still way behind though (I think the last arc I read was Thriller Bark, been a while, but I'll read more soon, I swear!)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oda noted that he had thought about the manga's ending since he was still in college.

Яeverse wrote:

I really hope he's put plenty of plot notes in a safe place, because, you never know...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, "Just over 100" should probably be read more like "closer to 120 than 100."
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
THANK GOD
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Whenever Oda says that One Piece is ending soon, there should be a Spongebob style title card to the next time he says it's going to be ending soon. Because seriously, it feels like he says this every now and then...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2