• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toei Offers Refunds for Censored Japanese Blu-ray of 6th Dragon Ball Movie Compilation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Parts of the footage and dialog in this product are not considered appropriate for today's audiences, but it is being presented in its original form out of respect for its historical importance."

Geez, a little dramatic for some animated middle fingers. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
"Think of the children!" they say as they censor the super expensive BD boxset that only hardcore fans will buy... Meanwhile the streaming version on Amazon and Netflix is uncensored. The one that kids are far more likely to have access to.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of odd that they do better censoring than the West. But look, we been showing Goku's dong as a kid for a long while and well...tossing the finger means something.

I remember I was told by a Japanese person that cursing in Japanese wasn't the same as in the West, so I wouldn't think they would care if it did or didn't. But most children today don't think much about that stuff if you raise them right.
chao8971

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I think it seems mega weird to remove flipping off from older films "for the children" especially when even new Japanese media seems to push this hard. Last time I had heard Pop Team Epic had enough of a impact in Japan to make flipping off cool for kids again away.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
There was a survey done in Japan about who is watching Dragon Ball today. Majority were adult male viewers (as a female fan I was sad to see how small the female audience was but I digress). So yeah all these years later censoring to “protect the children” seems especially dumb when it’s not even kids buying these Blu-ray’s .,
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
There was a survey done in Japan about who is watching Dragon Ball today. Majority were adult male viewers (as a female fan I was sad to see how small the female audience was but I digress). So yeah all these years later censoring to “protect the children” seems especially dumb when it’s not even kids buying these Blu-ray’s .,

It seems to be the same in the west. Of all my friends who are into anime, the Dragonball fans are exclusively people who got into it during the 90's and are in their 30's and 40's today.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe someone failed to read the work order of how which version of the series was suppose to be issued with the Uncensored version vs censored.

Unfortunately, i have to agree. The Fanbase for Dragonball franchise as whole is aging, not gaining new ones enough to justify filtering stuff out.

Here i expected western outfits to be doing censoring. Which i dispensed, like Funmation actions in the past.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wasn't Bio Broly the one where Trunks moons the camera and you can actually see his balls from behind?

And the bird is more disrespectful / obscene than that?

Mmmk.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
There was a survey done in Japan about who is watching Dragon Ball today. Majority were adult male viewers (as a female fan I was sad to see how small the female audience was but I digress).

It shouldn't surprise you doesn't exactly have a whole lot that would make female viewers want to watch it.

Wrangler wrote:

Here i expected western outfits to be doing censoring. Which i dispensed, like Funmation actions in the past.

With Cartoon Network having shifted it's demographic considerably (and Dragonball no longer airing at certain times for kids) though no longer need to have an edited version of the anime.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
It makes no sense that the BD version would be edited while the streaming version is uncut. Since this is Toei, part of me is tempted to think they sent the wrong files to Amazon/Netflix and the BD author.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
There was a survey done in Japan about who is watching Dragon Ball today. Majority were adult male viewers (as a female fan I was sad to see how small the female audience was but I digress).

It shouldn't surprise you doesn't exactly have a whole lot that would make female viewers want to watch it.

I think you might have missed the part where I said I am a female fan lol
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I think you might have missed the part where I said I am a female fan lol

I’m a female fan as well, and while on its face it doesn’t seem to have a lot that would appeal to women, it’s not like women are some monolith. I got into the series in my late teens watching the odd episode on Cartoon Network in the 90s. I got much more into it in the 2000s when Videl was introduced and I became heavily invested in her and Gohan’s relationship (and made great male and female friends through that ship). But I wasn’t enjoying the series for its uwu cute romance. I just liked Videl and Gohan and Videl-and-Gohan and the entire Saiyaman/Tournament arc.

It’s a fun series with interesting characters. Women aren’t weird for liking it anymore than male fans of Yuri!!! on ice are weird. Sometimes a series is just fun to watch.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Quote:
"Parts of the footage and dialog in this product are not considered appropriate for today's audiences, but it is being presented in its original form out of respect for its historical importance."

Geez, a little dramatic for some animated middle fingers. Laughing
I thought the gesture wasn't considered as offensive in Japan unlike the US.

It's kind of ironic Toei censored it in Fusion Reborn considering the US theater release didn't and still got a PG rating.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The release was very disappointing. I can not imagine why they did it. This gesture means nothing in Japan. It would only offender foreigners.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
My takeaway from this will be that in certain contexts my middle finger is of "historical importance".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3