Forum - View topic
INTEREST: City Removes Manhole Cover Decorated with Denki Groove's Pierre Taki


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1213
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Japan's attitude towards drug possession vs. pedophilia is astoundingly terrible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
theilikepie



Joined: 30 Aug 2017
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
"Japan removes the gravel where pierre used to walk"

"Japan orders temporary house arrest for convicted pedo"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stannisbaratheon



Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Posts: 61
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Drugs = Bad

Pedophilia = Pay a fine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 1959
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Japan's attitude towards drug possession vs. pedophilia is astoundingly terrible.


Drug problems will spread if left unchecked (just look at the opioid problem we have in the US). Sexual attraction won't. People won't magically be converted to pedophiles. I don't disagree with you over which one is a worse offense, but a lot of countries legal systems are setup to reform felons which often means less time in jail. In that sense, I think it makes more sense to come down harder on behavior that can become nearly impossible to control. On the other hand, it is always a little jarring to hear about people serving laughably small amounts of time in prison for crimes I usually associate with (imo well deserved) lengthy sentences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Hermano



Joined: 24 Feb 2019
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Drug problems will spread if left unchecked (just look at the opioid problem we have in the US). Sexual attraction won't. People won't magically be converted to pedophiles. I don't disagree with you over which one is a worse offense, but a lot of countries legal systems are setup to reform felons which often means less time in jail. In that sense, I think it makes more sense to come down harder on behavior that can become nearly impossible to control. On the other hand, it is always a little jarring to hear about people serving laughably small amounts of time in prison for crimes I usually associate with (imo well deserved) lengthy sentences.


In addition, child pornography was only recently banned in Japan a few years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 286
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Drug problems will spread if left unchecked (just look at the opioid problem we have in the US). Sexual attraction won't. People won't magically be converted to pedophiles. I don't disagree with you over which one is a worse offense, but a lot of countries legal systems are setup to reform felons which often means less time in jail. In that sense, I think it makes more sense to come down harder on behavior that can become nearly impossible to control. On the other hand, it is always a little jarring to hear about people serving laughably small amounts of time in prison for crimes I usually associate with (imo well deserved) lengthy sentences.


In addition, child pornography was only recently banned in Japan a few years ago.

stannisbaratheon wrote:
Massacre millions of innocent people for the sake of Japanese conquest for world war 2 = Shrine!


Americans consider themselves heroes for nuking two cities full of innocent civilians. Maybe they shouldn't be throwing stones in that glass house of theirs.


Yes, yes everyone’s done dirty stuff.

It doesn’t really solve anything to go “You’ve done bad stuff too so why you calling me out?”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1438
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, THIS is going way too far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Escaflowne2001



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 377
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 am Reply with quote
His career has gone done the drains.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WANNFH



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 772
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
His career has gone done the drains.
He's not the first, and probably not the last.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trunkschan90



Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 565
Location: California
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Okay, THIS is going way too far.


Foreigners have been banned from entering Japan because of drug convictions.
Examples: Paris Hilton, The Rolling Stones, footballer icon Diego Maradona and Paul McCartney.

Makes me wonder what they'll be doing with the Live-action Japanese Attack on Titan movies since Taki was in both of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Animegunclub



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 68
Location: AyeTeeEl, Jawhjah
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Okay, THIS is going way too far.


Makes me wonder what they'll be doing with the Live-action Japanese Attack on Titan movies since Taki was in both of them.


A titan will snort a CG version of him up in the opening seconds of the next one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3206
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
Okay this is bordering on Orwellian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kruszer
Enjoying the time of EVEEnjoying the time of EVE


Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 7799
Location: Minnesota, USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Was a glorified sewer cover really an honor to be given in the first place though? Confused

Is this the city saying "Sorry, Pierre you're no longer fit to guard even our shit"? Ouch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1606
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't disagree with you over which one is a worse offense, but a lot of countries legal systems are setup to reform felons which often means less time in jail.


I think a larger problem is that when Japan runs into drug problems, they don't actually try to address them beyond tossing folks in prison and pretending they never existed. Someone linked to or quoted an article in an older Taki thread about how Japan is notorious for only caring about the incarceration numbers, and not actually with treating drug addictions. I get *why* Japan has such a strong reaction to drug issues (my grandparents told horror stories about what the Opium Wars did to their families), but I think if they really cared, they'd try to help mitigate the issue, not just sweep it under the rug.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 2025
Location: Your Mother's Bedroom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
"Following the manhole removal, a giant turtle with an orange bandana took Pierre aside and espoused the perils of drug addiction, while devouring an entire pie made entirely of grease and cheese."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group