• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Living for the Day After Tomorrow DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the 5 people who actually saw this back when it was new (knowing full well it wouldn't come out in America). I thought it was really great. The slice-of-life-ish drama was great and some of the character interactions made me laugh. I remember one character in it that showed up every rare once-in-a-while that felt somehow... out of place, but otherwise this show is great fun!

This will be a definite buy! What a nice surprise.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
This sounds really interesting, I'll have to check it out!
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
As another one of the five people who saw this title when it was airing way back in 2006, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this title. One of the sleeper hits of the Fall 2006 season, in my opinion.

I'm not sure when I'm going to purchase the title, but I definitely intend to do so.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
I too really enjoyed this one back when it aired. I'm glad I get a chance to pick it up.

It's interesting that Theron mentions melodrama... the source manga was much darker, and I'm sure some would think over the top. The male leads especially came off much worse, one being involved in spoiler[incest] and the other spoiler[sexually assaulting Karada]. Quite a different beast than the anime.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
I remember reading a discussion about the manga this was based on. Looks like something I would definitely consider buying.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
I, too, watched this on fansubs way back when I thought there was no chance in hell someone would actually pick it up. And now I own the DVDs. Maybe I can allow myself the hope that someone like Section 23 would see the value of picking up and releasing Natsume Yuujinchou and its sequel too.

On an unrelated note; I seem to have a problem with the ANN reviews having frame lines show up in the borders at the bottom of each review. Here's an image to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me? Maybe it'll go away later, but I thought I'd mention it just the same. Also, it happens only in the reviews. The encyclopedia seems to be unaffected by this.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
On an unrelated note; I seem to have a problem with the ANN reviews having frame lines show up in the borders at the bottom of each review. Here's an image to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me? Maybe it'll go away later, but I thought I'd mention it just the same. Also, it happens only in the reviews. The encyclopedia seems to be unaffected by this.

Same here. The page source has
Code:
<table class="layout" width="100%" border=1>
on line 1034.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I seem to have a problem with the ANN reviews having frame lines show up in the borders at the bottom of each review.

I reported the problem under the Bugs and Technical Questions thread to bring forth the issue. I noticed it last night, but figured there were some updates going on.

Now, on topic.

Sold. I've seen this title show up every so often and the mere fact it's slice-of-life means I'm all in. This review certainly didn't hurt my decision, either.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
Picked this up on a whim based on the trailer, and it is one of my best semi-blind buys.
I really did not see this as slice of life, the overall story moved with each episode, there were developments with most scenes. Slice of life implies just hanging around and watching as mostly inconsequential things take place.
I was so engrossed, the episodes flew by at such a rapid pace. All of the characters are fully developed.
One of my favorite scenes: Shoko and Hiro having a serious talk in a cafe, when spoiler[Shoko unconsciously takes one of Hiro's cigarettes, Hiro looks horrified and snatches it from her, Shoko is shocked. Hiro then reaches for a cigarette and Shoko swipes it. Hiro looks like he is trying to prevent a young child (but previous smoker) from making a mistake, Shoko is telling Hiro to get his act together].
Watching all the characters come to grips with the events and their feelings was a real joy. If you want some real warm fuzzies from a great storytelling, I highly recommend this series.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
I remember being very interested in this show when it was first announced as being licensed, and then promptly forgot about it. Enough so that the name of the title did not ring a bell with me at all.
Slice of life anime are awesome, and I'll definitely be picking this one up next time there's a Sentai sale (and about ten thousand other titles)
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Never heard of this series before, but it's SOL which I enjoy a lot. After reading the review I'm tempted to purchase this show next time I see it on sale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
escahime65

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
I happened to see this show a few years ago in the video room of a convention and was impressed enough to watch the whole thing as soon as I got home. It has a lot more depth than what you see at first glance. Especially moving was when they both started to value being a child.

I would recommend that everyone at least give this one a chance even if you are not crazy about slice of life stories. I am more of a action/shonen fan myself but still really enjoyed this one.

Also, the review was really spot-on in my opinion. Great job Smile
Stretch24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
I also watched this when it was new, and by coincidence just rewatched it three months ago (I didn't know it had been licensed). Those mentions of the nasty things which happened in the manga surprised me, because this is such a neat show with perfectly understandable characters. Something which could never possibly happen in real life happens, and sets up all sorts of delicious situations.

My problem with the character designs was that while Amino is supposed to be the same age as Karada (in her original form) he looks something like five years older to me. Maybe the idea was to make him look mature enough to 'work' with the transformed Karada, but I had a little trouble taking him seriously as a boyfriend for her since her mental age hasn't changed. Come to think of it, she was so unusually mature and responsible to begin with that her new body seemed perfectly appropriate and I almost forgot that she still has a child's mind. Shoko was clearly an adult's mind in a child's body, which was great fun--like the time she pretended to be her own little sister and told her ex-boyfriend what she thought of him. I loved this show.

A literal translation of Asatte no Houkou would be something like "Towards the Day After Tomorrow" or (a more liberal translation) "A Path into the Future".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
What this came over? When did this get licensed? Didn't even know or hear anything about it.

Saw it some time ago. I liked it but didn't expect it to get picked up.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
I've seen the first six episodes of this. For some reason, while watching Kimi ni Todoke, I've kept thinking, "Why couldn't this have been done more like Asatte no Houkou?" (Specifically, I thought the voiceovers, SD gags, and assorted visual effects were a bit excessive.)

Though I guess it just Wasn't That Kind of series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3