• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 The Royal Game Revealed With Videos for October 31 Launch in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
Enhanced graphics with new character, gameplay, and even a new semester! Nice.

I put over 100 hours into this game so I'm definitely looking forward to some new Persona.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

I put over 100 hours into this game so I'm definitely looking forward to some new Persona.

Now times that by 6 and thats how many my 5 play throughs amounted too :p
looking forward too this and hope it comes with a new collectors edition!
Grimvice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
I really hope that it can be a DLC update for the original Persona 5, because i really don't wanna spend another 60 bucks for the slightly-updated version of a game I already have...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
I just hope her inclusion doesn't wreck the story or its messages too much. I'm rather amused her Thief outfit design almost looks like a female version of the MC's. There are also screenshots floating around the web that spoiler[Morgana has a human form] which feels unnecessary and kind of creepy in hindsight.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
Cool.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
I really hope that it can be a DLC update for the original Persona 5, because i really don't wanna spend another 60 bucks for the slightly-updated version of a game I already have...

It most likely will be its own separate game if earlier Persona revisions are anything to go by. Though it will totally worth it as they tend to actually re-work the entire story to be more cohesive like they did with P4 Golden.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:

It's confirmed that it won't be DLC. Full priced re-release. No mention of whether your old save will carry anything over. Though with all the additions and improvements I can understand why they can't just let you continue, but it'd be nice if it at least read your old file and allowed your stats/cash/persona list to carry over.

Anyway, I'm not keen on double dipping, so I too was hoping it'd be a new DLC chapter or new game. Also I tend to prefer the vanilla version stories to the additions of Golden or FES.

That said, I really loved the cast, so the idea of spending more time doing new stuff with them would be great, and I am miffed that I totally expected another few months based on the calendar at the end of the game, so this kind of feels like content that was originally planned but cut to release the title. So I'm curious about it.

But I'm not re-buying at full price. I can skip it, or watch some youtube videos of just the new content.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm seeing a lot of new stuff, and it looks like the new confidant will actually interact with party members beyond basically bumping into each other like the others. It looks like Palaces might have some new ways to interact with them, too.

One of the things that disappointed me with my first time playing the game was that the calendar had dates that went pretty late but ended up having little gameplay with them. It seems like they are going to make use of that time.

It'd be cool if stuff carried over from your previous game save, but that seems pretty unlikely. It would be nice if you got some kind of in-game bonus, though. I've played games that, even if they didn't directly transfer stats or items, they would do something like give you extra money to start as a thank you for playing the previous game.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I just hope her inclusion doesn't wreck the story or its messages too much. I'm rather amused her Thief outfit design almost looks like a female version of the MC's. There are also screenshots floating around the web that spoiler[Morgana has a human form] which feels unnecessary and kind of creepy in hindsight.

I'm curious about that. We clearly see Kasumi with Joker, so she doesn't seem to be a female MC, so I'm curious why her outfit looks so similar. They even have the same color gloves. Her movements are also the same, or at least very close to, Joker's animation for a critical hit. The weapons looked new, but relatively close to what Joker uses.

I'm purely speculating here, but maybe spoiler[ she comes into the team while Joker is in custody during the winter months, and she dresses similarly because she fills in as the wild card character. I don't know that I like the idea of such a late addition to the team, but the similarities have to be for a reason.]

Grimvice wrote:

If it's anything like the difference between P4 and P4G, then it will be way more than just a slight update.
Sukottosan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
There's people disappointed that there's not playable female. Bet they all forgot. They be all busy being thirsty for human Morgana.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! This will already be the third time I buy this game (I got the Take Your Heart PS4 edition, then my PS4 bricked, and after waiting over 8 damn years for that game, I wasn't waiting the two weeks for Sony to repair my PS4, so I then bought it again and actually beat it on PS3). But this might be first time playing it on PS4 all the way through! I was actually looking for an excuse to replay it as is.

Now to see what happens tomorrow...
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it'll be more substantial than other Atlus re-releases, but it's hard to be enthusiastic about paying full price for a new version of a game on the same system the original came out on. EDIT: Then again, if someone bought the vanilla version on PS3 and then bought a PS4, I could see this being an easier purchase to justify.

Greed1914 wrote:
I'm curious about that. We clearly see Kasumi with Joker, so she doesn't seem to be a female MC, so I'm curious why her outfit looks so similar. They even have the same color gloves. Her movements are also the same, or at least very close to, Joker's animation for a critical hit. The weapons looked new, but relatively close to what Joker uses.

I'm purely speculating here, but maybe spoiler[ she comes into the team while Joker is in custody during the winter months, and she dresses similarly because she fills in as the wild card character. I don't know that I like the idea of such a late addition to the team, but the similarities have to be for a reason.]

While that's a cool idea, I think it's more likely they'll just undo spoiler[Joker having to go to jail]. They're touting a third school term, and it seems pretty disingenuous to spoiler[switch out the main character at that point; there's also this screenshot of Joker hanging out with the team on New Years]. Kasumi also clearly joins before all that; the part of the trailer showing her critical animation shows Joker, Haru, and Yusuke in the active party with her, and there's this screenshot of her entering Mementos with the rest of the team.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
*pterodactyl screams into the void*
I want it. I want it so bad. Hopefully they do a special edition like the Take Your Heart Premium Edition, and there's some little extra bits for players with a complete save file, like special weapons for each character or items.

Now I feel like I need to do a 2nd playthrough on the original P5...
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
This looks like it'll be more substantial than other Atlus re-releases, but it's hard to be enthusiastic about paying full price for a new version of a game on the same system the original came out on. EDIT: Then again, if someone bought the vanilla version on PS3 and then bought a PS4, I could see this being an easier purchase to justify.

Greed1914 wrote:

While that's a cool idea, I think it's more likely they'll just undo spoiler[Joker having to go to jail]. They're touting a third school term, and it seems pretty disingenuous to spoiler[switch out the main character at that point; there's also this screenshot of Joker hanging out with the team on New Years]. Kasumi also clearly joins before all that; the part of the trailer showing her critical animation shows Joker, Haru, and Yusuke in the active party with her, and there's this screenshot of her entering Mementos with the rest of the team.

Most likely they'll just reduce spoiler[the length of time Joker spends in prison, and that he just turns himself in at a later date.

Though what I think is that Kasumi's dungeon will take place before the Mementos depths, as that's the point at which the game should end. So essentially they'll put Kasumi around Christmas, push the Mementos finale back to the beginning of next year. And Joker goes to prison around Feb, gets out March, if I have my dates right...

So it'll go Haru dungeon > Shido dungeon (Shido's must happen around election time) > Kasumi dungeon > Mementos.]
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
I recently bought the original P5, as just now I'm finding that it's price has gone down in stores I frequent...now I'm wondering if there's any point in me playing it? Maybe I should just grab The Royal and not play the original P5.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
DRWii wrote:

Greed1914 wrote:

Most likely they'll just reduce spoiler[the length of time Joker spends in prison, and that he just turns himself in at a later date.

Though what I think is that Kasumi's dungeon will take place before the Mementos depths, as that's the point at which the game should end. So essentially they'll put Kasumi around Christmas, push the Mementos finale back to the beginning of next year. And Joker goes to prison around Feb, gets out March, if I have my dates right...

So it'll go Haru dungeon > Shido dungeon (Shido's must happen around election time) > Kasumi dungeon > Mementos.]
If they put Joker in Jail during February, that would take out the valentines event, which i seriously doubt they they would do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2