• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Job opportunities in the anime industry

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holy Vampire 32

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Sup everyone,

Ok I think this rocks!! But what I hate is the fact that these job are all in Japan!!! Mad Man I really wish that they had job available in the U.S. I would love to work at any of these studios. If they did have animation studios here I would go there and try to pitch my anime story which I've been working for a few years. I have some background so I think I might have a chance but I just need a shot. If anyone knows of any opportunities to break into the anime industry please tell me!!!! Well that's my 2 cents.

C ya,

Holy Vampire 32 Twisted Evil

================================
End Transmission 7:59:32 PM
================================
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:55 pm Reply with quote
This FAQ from Justin Leach, a US-born Production IG animator, may interest you. ANN also has an interview with him online.

-Jonathan
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Also important is Jan Scott Frazier's Guide to getting a Job in Japan, and his Table of possible foreigner jobs helps too.

Justin had a lot of talent and great timing. Jan had a lot of talent and a lot of luck (a LOT of luck: autiobiography)

There are these sort of jobs available in the US -- but you won't end up working on anime. With dedication and hard work, you could become a producer and funnel money into your project.. but otherwise you'll spend quite a lot of time working on other people's ideas. Heck, even these jobs are mostly middleman jobs -- you take someone else's idea, flesh it out into something existant (be it a project manager or a scriptwriter) and move to the next project.

At any rate, they'd all require at least some Japanese fluency; probably 2-3 years even for the animator positions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:01 am Reply with quote
I have to admit I didn't expect this.

It doesn't mean anything to me, really. The only job I could possibly make the cut for is as a writer, and whatever Chibi Maruko-chan is, I don't think I'd want to write for it. Of course since all I know about Japanese is basic structure, some random vocabulary, and how to form basic posessives, it's a moot issue.

A shame too, but it seems that everything is these days.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:22 am Reply with quote
Before chasing phantoms and dreams, remember, most jobs in the industry have very little to do with creating. And are gotten the same way as any other day job

Viz LLC jobs page (currently available: producer, creative services manager)

Right Stuf Int'l, Inc. jobs page (currently available: fulfilment, customer service)

TokyoPop jobs page (currently available - several editorial positions)

So the bottom line is, an industry position is not something mystical and unattainable by mere mortals, but rather, just a job, just like any other one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:32 pm Reply with quote
now let's all be reallistic here: do you honestly think they're gonna hire a gaijin just like that? something about this doesn't sound right.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:50 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
now let's all be reallistic here: do you honestly think they're gonna hire a gaijin just like that? something about this doesn't sound right.

yes, provided that the 'gaijin' speaks Japanese and fufills the requirements necessary to accomplish the job.

the language barrier is the biggest problem, but even if you aren't fully fluent, provided you can survive the interviews and show that you're capable of the job, I don't see why they wouldn't hire you.

they'd need to sponsor a workers visa for you.. but Eikaiwa sponsor them all the time, so it can't be an overly difficult process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrushinLionHeart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:46 am Reply with quote
oh well...too bad i dont speak japanese, i could go for the animator job....oh well, this things come and go like the wind
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1