• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Faces Class-Action Lawsuit Over Joy-Con 'Drifting'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
Could someone please tell me why this "Drifting" is unlawful?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
I am one of those people who does have a problem with my joy con, while it does drift sometimes it stops if I move the joystick. No my problem is that going all the way down doesn't work. While the game I've been playing (One Piece Pirate Warriors 3) isn't that much of a problem, it's still annoying...

And considering what people have discovered about the drifting, yeah I think it is connected to the same issue...
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I am one of those people who does have a problem with my joy con, while it does drift sometimes it stops if I move the joystick. No my problem is that going all the way down doesn't work. While the game I've been playing (One Piece Pirate Warriors 3) isn't that much of a problem, it's still annoying...

And considering what people have discovered about the drifting, yeah I think it is connected to the same issue...

yea it is annoying, been happening for about a year for me and i can ease it a little using a toothpick too flip up the flap and pressurized air too try and clean it, but eventually it starts happening again >.>
omegafinal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Sadly this problem isn't going to a simple and easy fix. Given how the sticks themselves are constructed, they are going to need to completely rework it, or fix the sensors with something more durable than what appears to be a graphite pad covering it (which might explains why even though if you clean it off with compressed air, the problem would return shortly after.).

I'd recommend checking out this video by Spawn Wave about the issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7um_1jr2vg

Personally, I use my Pro controller more, so I have no problems with my Joy-Cons after two years of playing. Though the problem is going to be, not -if-, but -when- I will start getting the drifting problem on said Joy-Cons.

Last edited by omegafinal on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I had to replace both of my initial Joycons. I'm completely on board with Nintendo being sued over this because it's been a known issue for years and they've basically been completely refusing to acknowledge it while continuing to profit off of people having to buy new ones.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I exclusively play docked with the pro controller so I never knew this was even a thing.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
dont have issue on joy cons, but drifting is a known to hing on most nintendo joysticks.

Gamecubes controller had drifting. Wii's nunchuck had driftign eventually, the Wii u the same. Wii classic controller pro? yup.

only ones i haven't had driftign are the N64 controller (those break before drifting i assume) and 3ds's.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I've had that same issue as well. With BOTH joycons. And by the looks of it nothing has been done ever to solve that problem on newer units.
Thankfully I mostly use a pro controller... which in turn means I'm now stuck with a faulty D-pad.

Nintendo has been extremely sloppy with this gen's controllers so a potential slap on the wrist might be something positive.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
In SSBU and the like where a single wrong move means defeat, there is nothing as frustrating as drifting, my would-be neutral special while offstage that turn into a non-cancelable side special suicide with Shulk when the thumb isn't even on the joystick stop being funny after a while.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I haven't encountered this problem, but I don't game all that heavily. It's always hard to tell how common problems like this actually are, because you mainly hear from people who are having the issue, making it seem like almost everyone runs into it; if it was really that bad, Nintendo wouldn't be able to get away with ignoring it. But there do seem to be enough cases that something needs to be done, and it often takes a lawsuit to convince a company to fix a mistake.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Had a problem with one of my joycons not long after I got my swtich and Gamestop gave me a whole new system...been using a gamecube controller ever since.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

Gamecubes controller had drifting. Wii's nunchuck had driftign eventually, the Wii u the same. Wii classic controller pro? yup.

I had this problem pretty bad with my Wii nunchuck so I can verify this.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Firefly251 wrote:

I had this problem pretty bad with my Wii nunchuck so I can verify this.

mhmm.

i think the most infamous was the wii u wireless classic pro controller.

Connect that to a PC and you can check how bad the drift is. (it will move without u touching it)

I just dont know why people think legal action is gonna do anything... There is nowhere they say "no drifting" therefor you are not being deceived or anything.

"wear and tear" is common on anything that moves around.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
Mine still work after 2 years of heavy use. I may still switch to the portable only one (i myself don´t have a dock) if it´s as easy to hack as the current model and if the improved battery and the new d-pad are worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2