• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Little Witch Academia: The Nonsensical Witch and the Country of the Fairies Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh joy! Another book relating to Little Witch Academia has arrived in the States! Anime smile Now if Crown of Midnight, as well as the one illustrated by Terio Teri would get publish here it would be complete.

Quote:
if you're familiar with tales of Fairyland from actual British folklore, watching Akko and her friends drink something while in the Country of the Fairies will probably send a chill down your spine, even if it has no real consequences.

Oh I am certainly familiar with the risk of consuming anything from the world of fairies, and I am not surprise Akko would consume something from that world out of ignorance. I would think her friends would know better however given their background. It's a good thing for them the writer of this story is not making full use of fairy lore otherwise they would be in deep trouble.

Quote:
The theme of friendship above all is a little corny for older readers, but it isn't overdone or emphasized to the exclusion of all else, making it more a mark of the novel's intended audience than anything else.

For me parts of the climax of Little Witch Academia I felt was corny, but given what is mention in the review, the way the novel is going about presenting it's theme it might not be as bad for me. That is something I would experience when I get the novel.

Quote:
filling the niche authors like Anna Elizabeth Bennett and Eleanor Estes used to occupy with their nonthreatening and fun witch stories.

I feel like since watching Little Witch Academia, as well as Studio Ponoc Maria and the Witches Flower, I have become interested in reading witch stories as well as romanticization of witches (witches in fantasy seem more interesting and fun then real witches).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1