• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Boruto Writer Ukyō Kodachi Shares Support For LGBTQ Representation in Fiction

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
i can't believe boruto said gay rights!!!
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Prays that Kawaki has the hots for Boruto, always felt there was more to their friendship with those looks, closeness, and more. Ships.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He argued that LGBTQ characters ought to exist in fiction even when that aspect of their identities is not a plot point, and revealed that in his own stories he regularly decides on the sexual orientation of his characters as another way of making the story's setting come alive.

Hopefully he isn't talking about including a minority as a token character using an overused stereotype to define their main character traits. I'm not sure if I like the sound of that because it sounds like he is saying LGBTQ characters act in special LGBTQ ways even when it doesn't have anything to do with their sexual orientation / identity, but that makes it sound like he is talking about things like a stereotypical gay character trope. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of that approach, but a lot of anime seem to be guilty of it.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it would be great if a lot of anime and manga had a lot of LGBT plot like Boruto one, if Boruto was an mixture of heterosexual and LGBTO romance stories that Boruto would fell in love with Mitsuki while Sarada could fall in love with Mirai Sarutobi. I kinda love his life goals. Very Happy
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, Waver has been part of LGBTQ. The new anime just made his feelings for Rider more obvious. A character from Boruto that might be this is Mitsuki which is made quite obvious but nobody treats him poorly.
Super_M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not expert but I think that explicit lgbt characters in kids show would bring backslash from parents in most countries.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Waver is gay unless there is some side material I am not familiar with. Broskander seems much more like a father figure, and Waver gets really flustered / embarrassed when the girls flirt with and tease him. I see them much more like father and son like I see Shishigo/Mordred as father and daughter. Also Waver's friend seems to be an example of the anime stereotypical gay character trope I was talking about in my previous post where the character has nothing to them but that trope, and Waver has a completely different reaction to his flirting / teasing which make it seems like he just considers it a nuisance.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't think Waver is gay unless there is some side material I am not familiar with. Broskander seems much more like a father figure, and Waver gets really flustered / embarrassed when the girls flirt with and tease him. I see them much more like father and son like I see Shishigo/Mordred as father and daughter. Also Waver's friend seems to be an example of the anime stereotypical gay character trope I was talking about in my previous post where the character has nothing to them but that trope, and Waver has a completely different reaction to his flirting / teasing which make it seems like he just considers it a nuisance.

I really hate to break it to you, but the Fate/Zero staff literally have an interview where they single out a scene of Waver and Iskandar together and say "We drew this with the idea that they were waking up after their first night of sex together". They're Gay, Harold.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Prays that Kawaki has the hots for Boruto, always felt there was more to their friendship with those looks, closeness, and more. Ships.

Same here. For once I would like to see some prominent shounen manga characters that aren't just side characters be revealed in the anime as LGBTQ, specifically male characters apart of the main cast. We both know the shounen and seinen audience tend to like yuri but let's be honest: there's barely any yaoi that is taken seriously for that audience (save for a few manga and anime that use it as comedy segue).
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
He argued that LGBTQ characters ought to exist in fiction even when that aspect of their identities is not a plot point, and revealed that in his own stories he regularly decides on the sexual orientation of his characters as another way of making the story's setting come alive.

Hopefully he isn't talking about including a minority as a token character using an overused stereotype to define their main character traits. I'm not sure if I like the sound of that because it sounds like he is saying LGBTQ characters act in special LGBTQ ways even when it doesn't have anything to do with their sexual orientation / identity, but that makes it sound like he is talking about things like a stereotypical gay character trope. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of that approach, but a lot of anime seem to be guilty of it.

That... really isn't at all what he's saying?

His point is that someone's sexuality is just a random incidental detail about them same as their hair or whatever else, and even if it never factors into the plot in any meaningful way it's a useful thing to have in mind because the more supplemental details you plan for and pay attention to the richer your quality of writing is.

And that and the representation point feed each other - that should be something you keep in mind because it's an aspect of real life that at some point in time you've most likely passed random people who just happen to be gay, and so it's beneficial to the story to have details like that in place to help make it feel more alive and it's useful to people in real life to have media working with that ideal in mind because it's giving people an echo of themselves that they don't often see in fiction and that can be empowering because it helps to normalize it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Glad to know there are some people in Japan who believe in supporting the LGBT crowd and want to provide decent representation. I'm not gay myself, but I know a lot of people who are that do want to see more nuanced portrayals of LGBT people in media, or are in the process of making their own in any way they can. It's no secret that Japan as a country is pretty conformist and conservative in regards to...well, everything. While I admit I'm not a fan of Naruto in any way, I'm glad Kodachi is showing his support. I also agree with him in that if you want to write an LGBT character, that's fine, but it's not their whole identity.

Of course, it all comes down to execution, and there are just as many good portrayals of those on the LGBT spectrum as there are bad ones.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I think Waver and Rider's relationship can be read as either father figure type or romantic type. Not all act of closeness need to be romantically inclined so it is silly to railroad any aspect into that context. Especially when the series not explicit about it. Waver afterall met Rider during a very malleable period of his life and never had kind of brother figure in life before.

As far dealing more directly with topic itself goes, those tweets are all well said. Although I think it is easier said than done. LGBTQ are often tied to romance elements in fictional stories and it often feel like you write a character who is in that category of sexual orientation without it unless you going for stereotypical portrayal.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Same here. For once I would like to see some prominent shounen manga characters that aren't just side characters be revealed in the anime as LGBTQ, specifically male characters apart of the main cast. We both know the shounen and seinen audience tend to like yuri but let's be honest: there's barely any yaoi that is taken seriously for that audience (save for a few manga and anime that use it as comedy segue).

I recommend you checking some Clamp series if you want yo see that. In the case of Boruto, Mitsuki openly admits thinking a lot about his teammate to the point their relationship played a big role in the anime. Kawaki however became more like a brother of Boruto and seres to see Naruto as some sort of father
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for more representation. Nothing wrong with having more, especially making it normal like any other character trait. Also love how the Naruto world has more skin tones. More anime needs all sorts of representation, as I can see it standing out in a sea of mostly the same stuff.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with Kodachi here. Treating some one being gay as "not a big deal" is, to me, the true form of equality. It's being treated with the same sort of normalcy that heterosexuality is.

However it seems that this sort of thing can cause controversy too. I remember the blowback to Darling in the Franxx, where Ikuno was gay and it seemed to me that people were mad because it wasn't being treated as important enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4