Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Werewolf Count and the Trickster Tailor eBook 1




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 536
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
It is quite interesting that the similar tropes was popular in world culture even when simbple tolerance was considered something unusual. For example, Shakespeare's “Twelfth Night, or What You Will” was considered a hot romantic comedy even at a time when having same-sex relationships was considered illegal and could lead to the death penalty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1697
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
This won't stop me from buying the book further down the line, but since you mentioned that it was a deliberate translation choice, about the use of he/hims and she/hers for Phoebe: since you mentioned that Roxy corrects anyone who refers to Phoebe as male, does it feel more like the choice of "he/him" was made to indicate a genderfluidity between male and female specifically, making "he/him" pronouns that might apply to Phoebe, just not at this point in time, or does it seem more like the translators are maybe a little skittish about using "they/them" and "she/her" to indicate a shift between non-binary and female instead? I only ask because I've heard of translators deliberately picking a he/him, she/her dichotomy when a they/them would apply just as well, and I'm just trying to get a feel for how you think it was used.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1781
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's a little hard to really get into without a few spoilers, although honestly I did figure this particular piece of the story out pretty quickly and I think you would too: spoiler[Phoebe is actually Roxy's dad]. The way it was explained to me when I asked the translator is that there was concern about using a pronoun that isn't necessarily extant in Japanese, but also that the use of she/hers and he/his were also part of how Roxy herself related to the character at the given moment. Since the narration is a third person limited to Roxy's inner thoughts, I think it does work. In an English-language work (meaning originally written in English), I might have been more concerned, and it was enough of a question for me that I did contact the publisher to ask. I do think when that piece of the plot is considered, however, and Phoebe's own words and attitude are taken into account at the point where the pronoun shift takes place, that it does work.

This is coming from a cis woman, however - someone who's genderfluid may feel differently about the choice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zztop



Joined: 28 Aug 2014
Posts: 424
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Stupid question, but is there an equivalent publication of this LN in Japan, or is it strictly English only?
My understanding was that most LNs that get an English translation tend to have gotten published first in Japan; and net searches using the Japanese title only give the source WN link.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 587
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Stupid question, but is there an equivalent publication of this LN in Japan, or is it strictly English only?
My understanding was that most LNs that get an English translation tend to have gotten published first in Japan; and net searches using the Japanese title only give the source WN link.

Cross-Infinite World is rather unique as a publisher. They deliberately license web novels that have not been published in Japan straight from the authors, and commission their own art. So no, this title in particular does not have a light novel in Japanese. However, 99% of all other light novel translations from other companies follow the rule you mentioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zztop



Joined: 28 Aug 2014
Posts: 424
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
zztop wrote:
Stupid question, but is there an equivalent publication of this LN in Japan, or is it strictly English only?
My understanding was that most LNs that get an English translation tend to have gotten published first in Japan; and net searches using the Japanese title only give the source WN link.

Cross-Infinite World is rather unique as a publisher. They deliberately license web novels that have not been published in Japan straight from the authors, and commission their own art. So no, this title in particular does not have a light novel in Japanese. However, 99% of all other light novel translations from other companies follow the rule you mentioned.


Interesting explanation, thank you.

I wonder if Cross Infinite World also commissions manga adaptations of its licensed WNs. I'm aware most Japanese LN publishers may order for manga versions of published WNs to promote said titles. Ex. Manga adaptations of Shield Hero, Reincarnated as a Slime, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 587
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I wonder if Cross Infinite World also commissions manga adaptations of its licensed WNs. I'm aware most Japanese LN publishers may order for manga versions of published WNs to promote said titles. Ex. Manga adaptations of Shield Hero, Reincarnated as a Slime, etc.

They have not yet up to now. CIW is a very small publisher, and I doubt they get more than a couple thousand sales per volume, if that. They only just recently started offering paperbacks for some of their more popular series, but even those are Amazon print-on-demand books that don't include color illustrations. Commissioning a manga adaptation would be very expensive, and probably would not be worth the risk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnowWarren



Joined: 29 May 2014
Posts: 207
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
zztop wrote:
I wonder if Cross Infinite World also commissions manga adaptations of its licensed WNs. I'm aware most Japanese LN publishers may order for manga versions of published WNs to promote said titles. Ex. Manga adaptations of Shield Hero, Reincarnated as a Slime, etc.

They have not yet up to now. CIW is a very small publisher, and I doubt they get more than a couple thousand sales per volume, if that. They only just recently started offering paperbacks for some of their more popular series, but even those are Amazon print-on-demand books that don't include color illustrations. Commissioning a manga adaptation would be very expensive, and probably would not be worth the risk.

Shame, I'd love to see a manga of this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group