• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Strange Romance

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice job about expanding on Indie games and obscure games, i hope you can write it more.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With September drawing to a close, did you have any favorite releases from this month?

HONK. Honk honk honk! Honk honk honk honk. Honk honk!

Also, I'd like to remind people that the original version of Cave Story is still legally free for PC, Mac, etc. Also, Kero Blaster is great, and published by Playism as opposed to Nicalis, in case anyone's worried about that.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played the KFC dating sim, but I watched the Game Grumps play it for a bit last night. The thing is, I don't know that I would call it lazy or half-assed... it's like the opposite. They tried way too hard. Like every line in that game is trying to be ridiculous or funny about something, or just having characters call out the jokes, like, "A dog? For a teacher?? Wow, this class is SO silly, isn't it?"

Speaking of which... why is the teacher a dog? What does that have to do with chicken? Isn't that like, a health hazard? There's a lot of things like that in it that feel like they're intended to be lol so randum without really building on the game's premise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
HONK Honk honk honk honk. Honk honk!

Goose thingy is just the other side of the coin here Laughing Silly, crazy games basically just made so streamers and let's players can play them like I Am Bread or Goat Simulator. Sadly that's the goal of a lot of indie developers. Make a game influencers can make content for, then reap the sales from when they play it and make it popular. A pretty self serving cycle.

I think the influx of silly VNs in particular is because American gamers don't take VNs seriously and the genre isn't very popular here, so the only ones they'll care about or check out are the ones that are purposely stupid, silly and just be memes.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember years back when I first heard of Rodriguez he came as a chest puffing dweeb. Heck, he even made dismissive remarks about Japanese devs kinda like Phil Fish so it's no surprise he was in fact a gigantic racist and worthless human being behind the scenes. People have already said they will not be working with him in the future, so it looks like the end has begun for him (hopefully).

As for other gaming news, there was another Sony Dir-I mean, State of Play, but as usual it was just kinda "pbbbbbbt." At least they announced a MediEvil demo, even if it's looking to be a warts and all style of remake
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Goose thingy is just the other side of the coin here Laughing Silly, crazy games basically just made so streamers and let's players can play them like I Am Bread or Goat Simulator. Sadly that's the goal of a lot of indie developers. Make a game influencers can make content for, then reap the sales from when they play it and make it popular. A pretty self serving cycle.

*steals your shoes and drops them in the pond*
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see so many people rightfully calling out the KFC dating sim for what it is. At least they didn't actually charge anything for it.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
(Insert obligatory Doki Doki Literature Club reference here)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
(Insert obligatory Doki Doki Literature Club reference here)

JUST MONIKA!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Yeah, I remember years back when I first heard of Rodriguez he came as a chest puffing dweeb. Heck, he even made dismissive remarks about Japanese devs kinda like Phil Fish so it's no surprise he was in fact a gigantic racist and worthless human being behind the scenes. People have already said they will not be working with him in the future, so it looks like the end has begun for him (hopefully)

This is VERY prominent in the otome community. So many American-made otome games purposely go out of their way to circumvent proper otome style and themes and bash Japanese games for using them. I can't play American otome because of their writing style ruins the whole point of otome games.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
The darkest deal was whatever happened with vanguard princess, thw worse rumours say that the deal was getting negotiated when the creator got kiilled in the fukushima incident, so the american licensors took all for free.
Unknow0059

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As someone who likes visual novels and has to constantly fight to get them proper coverage, it's infuriating.

I can imagine that. The genre is very niche to begin with. The thing with this kfc thing is that it's memetic, and so was DDLC (because of youtubers), so obviously it's gonna blow up no matter the quality.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Unknow0059 wrote:
I can imagine that. The genre is very niche to begin with. The thing with this kfc thing is that it's memetic, and so was DDLC (because of youtubers), so obviously it's gonna blow up no matter the quality.

Another factor is availability. Stardew Valley is just your average farm simulator, but none of the Harvest Moons, Rune Factorys, or many other farm sim series that have come out are available on Steam/PC so it's the one game people who don't play console/handheld gaming can play, so it got really popular with YouTubers and Streamers despite not really doing anything newer or better than those titles. Rune Factory 4 is the peak of the farm/battle/dating sim genre IMO and totally worth picking it up on Switch when the remaster comes out of anyone hasn't played it already. Margaret best girl BTW

Old anime fans who already played/watched stuff like School Days and Higurashi aren't going to be surprised by something like DDLC, but the newer generation obsessed with memes and media influencers are going to cling to it for those reasons even if it's derivative. Even all the things things in Undertale had been done before, but the memes and music helped pop that game up and make it super popular as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1