• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Full Metal Panic! Creator Shoji Gatoh Apologizes For Tweet Disparaging Environmental Activ

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
"Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?" - Eric Andre
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I dislike this girl. If I ruled the world from the shadows, I would take everything from her and sneer at her when she hits rock bottom. Then I'd make her eat a delicious, piping hot steak and watch the tears of frustration on her face. I really want to see it."

You know, when I first read about this tweet, my first thought was that he got hacked, due to how insanely stupid this sounds. But nope, I guess people can be THIS dumb, after all.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It was a horrible thing to say to anyone, let alone an underage girl. An apology, in this case, doesn't mean anything, as it's pretty clear how he really feels about this. You don't write a tweet like that, without truly feeling like that.

It's insane how bothered so many adults are by this girl, that they feel the need to insult her online. Really sad.
Bastille

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
At least he apologized instead of doubling down on it but yeesh... That is one bad take.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a pretty nasty and highly unnecessary tweet. I predict any future adaptations for FMP will be silently shelved in light of this, though he only has himself to blame.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Is this the girl manipulated by her parents?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:
Is this the girl manipulated by her parents?

Somebody didn't want to get called out by a kid.

Bastille wrote:
At least he apologized instead of doubling down on it but yeesh... That is one bad take.

A Tweet that nasty, I'm more inclined to say "damage control" rather than "apology."
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that a man who spent so much time writing about political espionage let himself fall into the trap of hating & attacking a child when her puppet strings are so clearly visible.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shirο

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
So, may i ask why people are hating on this girl? Like what did she do that made him write that? From a quick search (and not a lot of reading) she doesn't appear to be doing anything bad.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I like FMP, but I lost a lot of respect for him. I doubt his apology is anything close to sincere either.

I know it was already said, but I also find it really sad that a kid gets under people’s skin so much. Doubly so when her message isn’t even bad.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Shirο wrote:
So, may i ask why people are hating on this girl? Like what did she do that made him write that? From a quick search (and not a lot of reading) she doesn't appear to be doing anything bad.

People hate her because she's an outspoken climate activist who regularly proposes extreme & draconian solutions, but uses her age as a shield from criticism. The whole thing is silly because she's not a climatologist, she's just an average kid the media has decided to promote, & everything they have her do would be farcical if grown ass men like Gatoh weren't falling for the bait & taking it completely seriously. I feel like we're on round three of "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes", & Gatoh's currently in last place.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
It's sad that a man who spent so much time writing about political espionage let himself fall into the trap of hating & attacking a child when her puppet strings are so clearly visible.

This. Its inexplicable to me to mistake a young girl with the policies she is parroting on behalf of adults too cowardly to speak for themselves. She shouldn't be attacked. This is why children shouldn't be used in the way Greta is being used. They are made a public figure open to attack from people like this unfairly.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with his general sentiments -- I don't like the girl, either -- I'd say his post was somewhat over the top. I mean, when I heard about her, my first thought was "Wow. She's well programmed." I feel sorry for her more than anything. But I guess that the whole situation must've really gotten under his skin, and I can understand that.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
A lot of f*cking insane conspiracy theorists in this thread
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not disparaging that it was to a very nice thing to say, just that it was funny to read for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9