• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seven Days War

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
"Ok boomer"? Ummm, are you aware that this is a remake of the novel from 1986 year? The original was a love message to teens of generation X and its connection with our time is nothing more than an attempt to make it more “alive” for a modern audience. It was no attempt to "yo, we are relevant, kidz", as you try to think.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't have to intentionally been made that way, which I don't think Kim was stating. Just that today it reads very much like the "ok, boomer" tone.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
It doesn't have to intentionally been made that way, which I don't think Kim was stating. Just that today it reads very much like the "ok, boomer" tone.

Well, the film does not try to be a parable about the problem of fathers and children for zoomers. This is just a film about the problem of "fathers and children" in general, whose events have been postponed in our time for easier perception. Of course, this is not "Romeo + Juliet", which was intentionally kitsch, but still.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
"Ok boomer"? Ummm, are you aware that this is a remake of the novel from 1986 year?

I mean, boomers definitely existed in 1986 tho.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
"Ok boomer"? Ummm, are you aware that this is a remake of the novel from 1986 year? The original was a love message to teens of generation X and its connection with our time is nothing more than an attempt to make it more “alive” for a modern audience. It was no attempt to "yo, we are relevant, kidz", as you try to think.

First paragraph of the review: "The story is loosely based on Osamu Sōda's 1985 social satire novel," so yes, Kim was aware.

"OK boomer" is merely the current mainstream expression of the youth's POV in the ageless phenomenon of the generational gap. The article's intended point in using the term appears to be simply to let young ANN readers know that they should find more relatable sentiment than some might expect in a story from over 30 years ago.

On the other hand, "Yo, we are relevant, kidz" would fall under https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TotallyRadical. You believe Kim assumes that this film's writing represents that kind of questionable attempt by older writers to appeal to a specific younger audience ("for zoomers"), but I don't see that at all in the review. Some might have the opinion that that the use of "OK boomer" in the article itself falls under "totally radical," but I think that's debatable, and at any rate the sentiment of being fed up with elders is clearly the same.

Socrates, 5th century BCE:
Quote:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

You can bet that the ancient Greek youth of his time would have responded to this with some equivalent of "OK boomer." From 1985 to 2019 is hardly a significant change of period by comparison.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
@nDroae If we talk about TVTropes, then I more referred to "We are still relevant, damn it!", which used in relation to works with an attempt to seem too actual and modern. That is why I drew attention to the fact that work is not trying to be "Bible of 10s teens". If Kim just wants to say that this is too simple film about the problems of fathers and children, okay, no problem. But in this context, it looks like criticizing the film because of false expectations.

I understand the desire to see social commentary on more actual themes for modern youth. Even from another "boomer" like in Hoshiai no Sora, but is the show obliged to do this if its original purpose is much more simpler?

@Animegunclub Then we need to understand which generation is boomers. Millennials? In the 80s, they only went to kindergarten and were not the original target audience of this work. Not to mention the fact that, as far as I know, Kim is almost the same age as me and we both belong to the them.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Reading the review, I get the impression that this was the sort of project that producers randomly commission to someone because they don't care much for the source material. I imagined because of time and capital constraints, they didn't get to revise the script enough.

But then I noticed that Ichiro Okouchi (of Code Geass and Guilty Crown fame) was the one who wrote the script. The lackluster character portrayal and the ridiculous story development suddenly made sense.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
"Boomer" can now colloquially refer to any elder, but if we're talking literal baby boomers, the USA's post-WWII baby boom was different from Japan's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boom#Japan According to this, Japan had a brief baby boom from 1947-1949, and a smaller second one from 1971-1974. The USA baby boom lasted much longer, from WWII to around the mid 60's, so baby boomers form a huge section of our population. I'd forgotten that we millennials are sometimes called "Echo Boomers."
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
If I didn't use the words "ok boomer" in the first sentence and instead said "intergenerational conflict", would that have made things clearer? I wasn't using "ok boomer" to refer to a specific generation so much as a shorthand for the sentiments that youths express towards adults in power. From what I understand, that's exactly how the term is used in real life discourse.

I decided to use the words "ok boomer" rather than "intergenerational conflict" because there's a cheekiness to "ok boomer" that I think the film captures. It's meant to be a light-hearted affair, which I think you'll understand if you watch it. It's not that the film was created because of an English-language meme - that would be a ridiculous thing to suggest - but the tone expressed is familiar.

I'm now somewhat regretting my choice of words because it seems to have opened a can of worms.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote
Given that ANN is an English-based website with a mostly North American audience, I don't think the use of "ok boomer" was wrong, exactly, so much as maybe that meme is one of the few so mired in American cultural context that it's hard to translate that tongue-in-cheek-but-also-righteous-indignation-at-older-generations vibe to non-US and maybe non-Canadian viewers.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ah, to be a grad student again and try to find a mistake in everything I read...
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
@Frog-kun I understand what you wanted to say in your review. Just, in my understanding, this meme shifted its emphasis from the original "this generational conflict movie is too toothless" to "this film is not relevant". In the end, it really looked more like over-emphasizing one of its problems, rather than criticizing the weak social commentary, as it seemed to me, you originally conceived.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Given that ANN is an English-based website with a mostly North American audience, I don't think the use of "ok boomer" was wrong, exactly, so much as maybe that meme is one of the few so mired in American cultural context that it's hard to translate that tongue-in-cheek-but-also-righteous-indignation-at-older-generations vibe to non-US and maybe non-Canadian viewers.

There is nothing particularly US about “ok boomer”. In New Zealand we had a spurge of intergenerational whinging when a younger politician used it to shut down an interjection From an older politician during her speech.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1