• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Replacement Re:Zero Blu-ray Discs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
Already sent in my email. Sounds like we just need to find an old DVD case to hold the blurays while we ship them in an envelope, so doesn't seem too difficult. Very glad Funi is doing this. (Now if only Crunchyroll would fulfill their promise and begin streaming the English dub...)
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
Sent in mine as well. Got an auto-reply that they'd get back to me in anywhere from 1-4 days. Simple enough.

They did something like this with the first set of Attack on Titan back in '14. Except it was run through RightStuf I think. Still have the original discs in addition to the new ones. And PonyCan with Sound Euphonium.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At the time of the release, Funimation commented that it was using Blu-ray Disc materials approved by the licensor. In its blog post about its replacement disc program, Funimation commented, "After investigating with the licensor and Crunchyroll, we confirmed that there was a discrepancy between the materials we were instructed to use for the release, versus the materials that were actually intended for home video usage in our market.

Such ominous wording in that statement, basically the licencor could if they wanted to approve and supply noticeably inferior materials so as to protect their domestic market. I was always a bit cynical in this case because Re:ZERO is a popular show worldwide. I honestly believed in this instance Japan deliberately supplied Funi with defective masters or were told to degrade the quality of their home video release. Like back when Sentai were forced to release some series in 1080i instead of 1080P (Dream Eater Merry, Bodacious Space Pirates etc..).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quote
I'm curious if the pipeline has now been cleared of the original discs, or if one will still be rolling the dice for some time when purchasing the first half of the series.
professorwho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
FUNi are 100% lying when they say you “don’t have to worry” about Part 2. It’s actually just about as bad. Still has a ton of banding.

This post here by my friend shows off how bad it looks;
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16041240&postcount=3044

So yeah, FUNi are still utter morons who can’t encode a Blu-ray properly.
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
FUNi are 100% lying when they say you “don’t have to worry” about Part 2. It’s actually just about as bad. Still has a ton of banding.

It's also what happens when you put 9 episodes on 1 disc with a 4-5GB average file size.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
I've looked at them, and i honestly cant tell what i'm supposed to be seeing. there anything in motion that might make it easier?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
They are finally doing something about it. I only wish we would receive the replacement discs in the mail without sending the defective discs back.
Tind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Good for US and Canada customers, too bad they don't care about people who bought this and live outside the US/Canada ...
jree78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I've looked at them, and i honestly cant tell what i'm supposed to be seeing. there anything in motion that might make it easier?

When I watch the bluray at certain areas when the colors are right I can see horizontal lines going across the picture, usually bluray picture quality is really good, much better than the Crunchyroll or Funimation streams.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

Part 2 looks normal for these cheap releases. Part 1 was much worse come on.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
If anime fans in Japan reverse import because they can't afford those high end Japanese premium prices for every anime show, maybe Japan should rethink their business model instead of punishing American fans for the actions of Japanese customers. Although I often feel like American companies use the "blame Japan" argument as an excuse for their own bad encoding.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

Honestly, while I noticed it in screenshots of the first set, most of these I can barely see the effects at all (and didn't see looking at the pictures the first time) and a couple I can't see anything. No, it's not absolutely perfect, but I think you are 100% exaggerating the extent of the effect, especially relative to the first set, to try and make Funi look bad, for whatever reason.
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Finally they're acknowledging the problem. Although, i'm not looking forward to the replacement process; it took months of reminder emails to get my Code Geass replacement discs...
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
CornBreadMan264 wrote:
professorwho wrote:

It's also what happens when you put 9 episodes on 1 disc with a 4-5GB average file size.

Listen.. this is beyond silly now.

The first part, I saw banding via posts on the internet, but did not see banding on my copy. I thought people were being silly, then I was able to reproduce the banding but only when I de-calibrated my HDTV. When I restored my color calibration settings the banding was not as noticeable.

I haven't watched the 2nd set yet, but the examples posted show nothing noteworthy.

As for making Funimation look bad.. lets be honest here they do a good enough job of this without our help.. so whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2