• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tubi TV Streams 1st Episode of Live-Action Moribito Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed that it never got a sequel series to adapt the rest of the journey, but it was a good show. We'll see about a live action series...I'm generally never too excited about the transfer from animation to live action. You lose a lot when you turn the animation off - those subtle expressions, the soul behind the eyes, the wonder of the magic, etc.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:02 am Reply with quote
The live action series is actually surprisingly good considering the budget for series like these. The sets and (most of the) acting are the best I’ve personally seen in a Japanese live-action TV adaptation, fight choreography is mostly good, and the story holds up well. The lead actress seems really committed to the role and does a great job.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Why Amazon hasn't streamed the other eighteen episodes of this series is a mystery. For a while they were only carrying the first one.

This four-episode arc reprises the events in the Moribito anime. The other eighteen episodes adapt other stories from the Moribito novels. I was less enamored of the second series about a girl who is also carrying a spirit, but one more malevolent than the water spirit that Chagum carried. The third series is perhaps the best as it chronicles Chagum's efforts to forge an alliance with royals from other lands to defend themselves against a foreign invader.

When I first saw that Ayase Haruka was cast as Balsa, I thought her too pretty for the role, but I was wrong. It's also obvious that Ayase trained hard for this performance as she clearly does a lot of the spear-fighting herself. The supporting cast is also generally excellent.

The production values in this series are truly impressive. The exteriors are gorgeous, as are some of the sets like the Talsh palace. Here's a trailer made for the 2017 International Emmy Awards that covers the first four episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsxSZ-sHWyg

Ayase also stars in another Taiga drama part of which is carried on Amazon. She matured considerably as an actress from that series, Sakura no Yae, to her role as Balsa.

Amazon's refusal to carry these series to completion led me to using "other methods" to find them and an excellent set of subtitles.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Why Amazon hasn't streamed the other eighteen episodes of this series is a mystery. For a while they were only carrying the first one.

And it seems to be the case for almost all Jdrama titles they have. They have some good period dramas, but just the first episode! Kdrama, on the other hand, seems to get full releases. It is frustrating, because I don’t like Kdramas at all. So, yeah, you kind of have to set sail if you want to watch any of these, unfortunately. I don’t know what the hell is up with Asian Crush and what kind of contract they have with Amazon.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I don’t know what the hell is up with Asian Crush and what kind of contract they have with Amazon.

Maybe our intrepid team of journalists here at ANN could inquire about these issues. I recall writing to Amazon about Moribito when only one episode was available and got no response.
Blackat 33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
For those of you wondering about the license for this series and other Jdramas, I work at Asian Crush, AKA, Digital Media Rights.

I know it's annoying when you can't find the full series on one platfrom however, do keep in mind that it is a lot of work to get licenses for things that are just not as popular or mainstream as say, Korean Dramas. It took a lot of work to do Moribito and I'm happy to see the first season here in NA, and spreading to more streaming platfroms.

The goal is definately to get more J-dramas in North America, but in order to do that it takes baby steps. Someing of interest to note is that we only licensed the first ep for a reason. Annoying as it might have been it really was a big help in getting the remaining epsof the first season. Definately the full series is coming along with other Jdrama, but the process is not overnight. As rights get a bit easier to acquire and we continue to get good viewership on what's our already on legal sites, we can be sure to see more content coming.

Just thoguht I would give my two cents in here as many people just don't know about all the work that goes into doing deals to bring over content like this legally. Support is the big thing in addition to time and patiance. Let's see j-dramas get as big as Kdramas.

Much love to everyone who has a passion for these dramas and want to see more!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Blackat 33 wrote:
For those of you wondering about the license for this series and other Jdramas, I work at Asian Crush, AKA, Digital Media Rights.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in here!

How much of this is the reluctance of Japanese studios to license material to streaming services, even ones outside Japan? My sense is that streaming has only come slowly to Japan, and studios fear that streaming revenues will never compensate for selling physical discs. I only have paid attention to anime productions though, so I know little or nothing about live-action releases.

Sakura no Yae is even worse, with only one episode released from a series of fifty.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Blackat 33 wrote:
Just thoguht I would give my two cents in here as many people just don't know about all the work that goes into doing deals to bring over content like this legally. Support is the big thing in addition to time and patiance. Let's see j-dramas get as big as Kdramas.

Much love to everyone who has a passion for these dramas and want to see more!

I appreciate that and I hope things will improve.
So are you saying that it improves prospects if I and others view the first episodes in their entirety? Is it about clicks? I’ll do it if I have to, though it is really annoying. I primarily watch anime and Jdrama so that I can work on my Japanese listening comprehension as well as to be entertained. Hence why I do not need Kdramas. I was wondering, is there any way that Amazon could be convinced to make it easier to find your content? I mean I realize it is their platform, but boy is it a hot mess at times. And when you release episodes as movies, could it perhaps mention viewing order in the descriptions? Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1