• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animazement Suspends Convention Due to COVID-19 Concerns

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
For those of us ordering products from Japan, there are also postal delays.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand why you all keep copy pasting the same "Virus from Wuhan" when you should instead be describing the cases in JPN when reporting on JPN things now to establish why everything in JPN is delayed its not been mentioned in any of your articles, beyond shokugn having a case in their company.

---

I doubted any of the JPN guests would have come to America in any of these time frames, due to, again your lack of saying whats happening in JPN, doesnt mention the 14/2weeks self-quarantine period/travel advisory against traveling to and from America for JPN folks.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Understandable, given all the cancellations that's been going on with a number of conventions that were supposed to take place in May.

Personally,if possible, I'd like Animazement to go for the delayed route over the cancellation route. It's been a sigh of relief that the stuff that I wanted to do before the COVID-19 outbreak screwed things up were basically postponed for later in the year instead of outright cancelled, and I'm sure people would rather have a delay in when they're going to a con than have it outright cancelled that year.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
That scratches four out of five big cons for Memorial Day weekend: A-Kon, Momocon, Anime North, and Animezement. The only big one that weekend that hasn't yet thrown in the towel is San Jose’s FanimeCon.

TnAdct1 wrote:
Personally,if possible, I'd like Animazement to go for the delayed route over the cancellation route. It's been a sigh of relief that the stuff that I wanted to do before the COVID-19 outbreak screwed things up were basically postponed for later in the year instead of outright cancelled, and I'm sure people would rather have a delay in when they're going to a con than have it outright cancelled that year.

Anime Central had something to say about this when they cancelled. ACen’s organizers argued that it truly takes a year to put together a con, which means that holding an event in Fall 2020 would have a negative impact on preparation for the Spring 2021 event. After all, you'd basically be starting over with lining up guests and vendors, because you can’t just assume that everyone who was available for the original date would also be available for the make-up date.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
That scratches four out of five big cons for Memorial Day weekend: A-Kon, Momocon, Anime North, and Animezement. The only big one that weekend that hasn't yet thrown in the towel is San Jose’s FanimeCon.

TnAdct1 wrote:

Anime Central had something to say about this when they cancelled. ACen’s organizers argued that it truly takes a year to put together a con, which means that holding an event in Fall 2020 would have a negative impact on preparation for the Spring 2021 event. After all, you'd basically be starting over with lining up guests and vendors, because you can’t just assume that everyone who was available for the original date would also be available for the make-up date.

Exactly. If things are back and going later on in the summer, there is a decent chance the guests already spoken for and vendors I've spoken to tend to go from one convention to the next during convention season. The venues might be booked too, so anyone planning to use dates later this year would get bumped and have to redo their own plans. In many ways, cancelling and planning for next year is much more feasible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1