• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Pockets Visual Novel's English Version Debuts on Steam

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
whats the word on this? Any good? I still need to finish Harmonia and then ReWrite.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
whats the word on this? Any good? I still need to finish Harmonia and then ReWrite.

Rewrite won't be out for a bit. Summer Pockets has had fantastic feedback in Japan and from users that played the Japanese release. If you love KEY, you'll love it. Soundtrack is also really fantastic.

And for what it's worth, apparently they worked things out with Steam. I don't see a rating on Steam but does give a "content may not be suitable for all ages" warning and people have confirmed it's not censored at all. The "mature content" is rather tame (spoiler[cleavage in swimsuits, pantyshots)]. This may be the "purest" release of a KEY VN yet. It should be identical to the Japanese release except obviously for language lol.

I'm so happy this came out it just over a year and half from the Japanese release. So hyped to read it!

edit: I wrote "for a it" instead of "for a bit". And I forgot that the "Twitter" feature existed in the Japanese release - it does not exist in the Steam version. It's just a blank spot where the button use to be. I hope they patch it in later - it's a minor thing but it did make sharing screenshots to twitter super fast
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
If they have problems with Valve, why aren’t they just publishing it standalone? Are game programmers so incompetent these days that they are absolutely dependent on Steam?
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
If they have problems with Valve, why aren’t they just publishing it standalone? Are game programmers so incompetent these days that they are absolutely dependent on Steam?

Valve is not a publisher; they operate the distribution platform, Steam. It's being published by VisualArts. You have to distribute your game somewhere, which raises the question: where else do you go? No other platform is as widely visible as Steam. For games that have multi-platform PC releases, Steam often accounts for well over 95% of their sales. For a smaller game, being released on Steam can make the difference between making a profit and being a complete flop. Other platforms like GOG or itch.io are great for people who prefer those, but developers who are trying to make a profit still can't afford to ignore Steam in favor of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1