Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jun Maeda, Key, P.A. Works, Aniplex Announce The Day I Became a God Anime for October Premiere


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5142
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:35 am Reply with quote
They apparently said they plan to make a new anime every 5 years.

Stayed up for this, no regrets. Super excited. I have faith in Maeda-san. I hope they get Lia to do a theme song for every one of these collabs lol. I'm really amazed it's airing so soon, given the current situation. But wow...Fall is gonna be amazing.

Some rumors are saying this anime is based off the song 終わりの世界から (Owari no Sekai Kara) which was a collab song between Jun Maeda and Yanaginagi many years ago.

From P.A. Works facebook page:
Quote:

One of the new challenges of 3rd project is to attempt new tempo of dialogue from Jun Maeda. The project have been developed from while ago so the audio is pre-recorded.

According to PA producer Tsuji, seeing the pre-recording, the quality of dialogue has substantially increased and should reflect the quality of the project.



edit: Some art https://imgur.com/a/IZiA0sg

edit 2: Can someone translate Jun Maeda's letter from the site?: https://i.imgur.com/S0tkYhV.png

edit 3: the stream says her name is"Hina". https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv325603638 about 20 minutes in


Last edited by Kougeru on Sun May 10, 2020 5:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 1018
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:30 am Reply with quote
>it's an "apocalypse with no hope of being averted" anime
Hard pass from me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
WANNFH



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 926
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
They apparently said they plan to make a new anime every 5 years
Well, with Maeda current situation, you never know if he will even live five more years, so it's quite good to hear that he is still positive and want to do his work as long as he could.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nachtwandler



Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 221
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:41 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
They apparently said they plan to make a new anime every 5 years
Well, with Maeda current situation, you never know if he will even live five more years, so it's quite good to hear that he is still positive and want to do his work as long as he could.


Apparently, he said last year that his situation improved so he do not plan to die anytime soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WANNFH



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 926
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:58 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Apparently, he said last year that his situation improved so he do not plan to die anytime soon.
Well, he can be in good health by now, but it's all known that heart transplantation isn't really the cure, but the delay — so he is still in the situation where it's not even known how much time he got left.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zunderdog24



Joined: 08 Jun 2014
Posts: 294
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:01 am Reply with quote
3rd times the charm. Hopefully this one wont have the same pacing issues as the other two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seif



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 401
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
That means a new Jun Maeda soundtrack!

Also, wow, reading about his condition puts his work into a different context.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Otakuch



Joined: 29 Mar 2020
Posts: 289
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
It looks great, I got the hype.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cookiemanstah



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
charlotte was one of the worst modern anime ever made. Where is Summer Pockets anime? Follow up on Angel Beats media? I'm starting to feel Maeda has gone the way of hackville as anime writing is concerned. Because make no mistake, the Key VNs are all still good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5142
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
charlotte was one of the worst modern anime ever made.


I don't want to get into a debate but I think that's a massive exaggeration unless you've only seen a small # of anime (sub-500ish). Maybe I'm just nitpicking though - I'd probably not have even replied if you said "one of the worst I've ever seen". Someday I hope to spend the time to actually make a list of the worst anime I've ever seen but it would take forever. Some examples would be Pupa and Infinite Stratos 2. Charlotte's final arc was extremely rushed but from every other angle it was great. Stuff like Pupa were pretty much bad in every way example the voice acting. Trust me, there's hundreds of anime that are just completely bad in every way possible, but that's getting off topic.


Takkun4343 wrote:
>it's an "apocalypse with no hope of being averted" anime
Hard pass from me.


Where does it say "no hope of being averted"? I guess it is kinda implied but maybe stopping the end is part of the plot. We don't know. Though I don't think that should automatically disqualify it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
grooven



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 1355
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely excited about this new project. Glad to see Maeda is holding up okay.

If people are wondering, visuals novels are dwindling in popularity now so Key has to look at other kinds of media to convey their stories. They will still have games (They have another planned on the horizon), but they are just branching out. They also have an rpg game planned for next year too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cookiemanstah



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I don't want to get into a debate but I think that's a massive exaggeration unless you've only seen a small # of anime (sub-500ish). Maybe I'm just nitpicking though - I'd probably not have even replied if you said "one of the worst I've ever seen". Someday I hope to spend the time to actually make a list of the worst anime I've ever seen but it would take forever. Some examples would be Pupa and Infinite Stratos 2. Charlotte's final arc was extremely rushed but from every other angle it was great. Stuff like Pupa were pretty much bad in every way example the voice acting. Trust me, there's hundreds of anime that are just completely bad in every way possible, but that's getting off topic.

If there's no use debating the other things you mentioned, all I'll say is Charlotte's last stretch went beyond just bad writing to just offensive with lots of fridge horror logic.

What I don't understand like with AB is it was said to be a commercial success. So why do the staff not follow up on them with more? Or who in the hell is rushing them to meet these exact episode counts? I always assume if an anime makes a lot of money and is popular that means more content for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5142
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I'm extremely excited about this new project. Glad to see Maeda is holding up okay.

If people are wondering, visuals novels are dwindling in popularity now so Key has to look at other kinds of media to convey their stories. They will still have games (They have another planned on the horizon), but they are just branching out. They also have an rpg game planned for next year too.


Thank you for saying this. A lot of people seem to think that KEY is going to abandon VNs despite them already saying they're going to announce a new one soon. Summer Pockets as also a huge success for them, so I doubt they'd abandon it. However, development costs and other things are increasing so single success every few years is not enough. I hope Heaven Burns Red is a big hit when it comes out in 2021. I hope this anime is fantastic.

@cookiemanstah

Episode count is usually a budget thing and less a time thing. It's not easy to get enough companies to fund your anime for 2-cours. I have no idea how successful Angel Beats! was, but that was also a decade ago so it's hard to use that to gauge anything when the market has changed a ton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8088
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Angel Beats was by far P.A. Works most profitable and popular title, so it's not surprising that they are going back to the well looking for another hit. Also to be said that while Charlotte is viewed (somewhat deservedly) as a dud, people might be surprised to learn that it was only slightly behind the BluRay sales of the Hanasaku Iroha TV series, one of PA Works more popular and acclaimed series.

Im looking forward to see how this project to turns out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1775
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, I'll be sure to check it out if the previews look good.

Though tbh, when I saw the title, I first thought about something more along the lines of Bruce Almight crossed with the lighter elements of Noragami. Like an ordinary person becomes a local god and has to earn followers while comedy ensues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group