• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Korean Animation Companies Anime Fans Should Know

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, SAMG no longer animates Miraculous Ladybug (another sore spot for fans), but I heartily enjoyed the episodes they worked on.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Sadly, SAMG no longer animates Miraculous Ladybug (another sore spot for fans), but I heartily enjoyed the episodes they worked on.

So who is animating ML now?
lledra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

So who is animating ML now?

Prior to this the studios working on Miraculous were SAMG, Assemblage, Symbiosis, and DQ. Which is also the order a lot of people put them in terms of output quality. Going forward, I believe it will only be DQ and Assemblage.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
FTR, the poll has no options whatsoever. Is it broken?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Mir do seasons of The Boondocks? I think that was why season 2 of Korra was done by Studio Pierrot.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They also made Neo Yokio, but we'll forgive them for that one.

Neo Yokio is unironically great, though.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
lledra wrote:

Prior to this the studios working on Miraculous were SAMG, Assemblage, Symbiosis, and DQ. Which is also the order a lot of people put them in terms of output quality. Going forward, I believe it will only be DQ and Assemblage.

Yup; SAMG animated all of Season 1, but they took about 2 1/2 years to get it all done (not ideal for a show with a vested toy marketing campaign behind it), and then I believe DQ was brought on to tag-team with SAMG for Season 2 to speed things up. I believe Seasons 3&4 were done with all four teams, but SAMG was let go for unexplained reasons (probably took too long despite the high, high quality of work they were putting out) and I believe Symbiosis was fired after one of their animators put in a slight boob jiggle on their 14-year-old protagonist--which was inappropriate from the start, but made worse by the fact that the show's primary audience appears to be 4-6 year-olds (at least according to an old production tweet).

Despite the delays, however, when people put SAMG at the top of the list, it is far, faaaar above the other companies in terms of animation quality. I've always been disappointed that a show trying to ape an anime-esque style in 3D cut ties with the one company that seemed to really "get" what Miraculous Ladybug was aiming for as a show.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So let's take a look at some of the local animation studios that we'd love to see bring more Korean stories to the world!

Jacki definitely has a point here, but the sad fact is that "Korean stories" were attempted in the past, and pretty much bombed every single time, at least when released abroad. DR Movie's Michel was a children's series inspired by The Little Prince that ADV brought over, one that even had Yasuhiro Imagawa help out with scenario creation, but no one cared about it. ADV also tried out Dongwoo Animation's BASToF Lemon (or Syndrome, if you prefer), and I believe even tried pushing it a bit, but likely did even worse than Michel did (Michel at least got a boxset release). Daewoo Animation's movie My Beautiful Girl Mari is probably the more well-regarded of them all, but obviously got lost in the shuffle of the mid-00s bubble. And that's to say nothing of other Korean movies that saw some sort of English release, like Space Armageddon or Red Hawk (or any of those really old knock-off films from the 70s & 80s), or Korean anime that we simply never got in English to start with, like the movie Oseam or TV series Restol, The Special Rescue Squad.

Honestly, probably the most successful Korean-made anime was probably Pucca. All of this is not to say that Korean studios aren't capable of putting out great works, though. I've read some damn good manhwa in the past, & it always baffles me why Korean studios don't simply adapt those. I'd love to see Korean anime adaptations of stuff like NOW, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, or Chronicles of the Cursed Sword, but sadly those will probably never happen, especially since webtoons are the big thing today.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Quote:
They also made Neo Yokio, but we'll forgive them for that one.

Neo Yokio is unironically great, though.

I was going to say something similar. I didn´t watch the series because of the reviews, but its Christmas special, Neo Yokio: Pink Christmas, called my attention. I watched that, and it was legit funny. Itdeliered on the premise of satirizing the culture of capitalism and consumerism, it didn´t include many blatant and unnecessary anime references, and comparing with the clips I´ve seen from the main series, the special has consistent production values and high quality animation, courtesy of american studio Titmouse, which always delivered animation worthy of competing against the best of anime. It felt like made with proper love and care and it was reviewed better than the main series, receiving mostly praises. The series is not cancelled by Netflix, meaning it could appear at any given point, but the series hasn´t returned since that special, but I think the series has potential to be better if the creator works on refining the scripts. I might be asking too much but I´d like to see an article analysing the series closer, looking back on what it did right and wrong, and how does it fare on 2020 after some years of its release. Or is there any video talking about it that I missed?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Another good and interesting list! Mr. May is a good source and I hope to see him more here. Keep 'em coming please. Wink
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
SAMG Animation is currently working on another magical girl show, "Catch! Teenieping" a Cardcaptor Sakura/Yokai Watch type of show. I haven't seen much of it but it's pretty cute looking and has that same range of fluid animation & expressions that are in Ladybug

Studio Mir also did a the second season of the "Lego Elves" franchise!

Couldn't really answer the poll since the only Korean animation I'm familiar with are other magical girl shows (there's been a few), but the stand outs of those to me are probably "Flowering Heart" by Iconix/EBS & my guilty pleasure is "Secret Jouju" which looks...not great early on, wont lie, but this latest season is so much of a step up, I believe all of them are done by Maro Studios(?)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:45 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah I forgot about that Koji pilot trailer, it looked great.

Studio Mir's also doing Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts currently, which is off to a really good start and I think the second season is coming very soon. Amazing visuals too as you'd expect from them.

bleachj0j wrote:
Didn't Mir do seasons of The Boondocks? I think that was why season 2 of Korra was done by Studio Pierrot.

Yeah, I believe they did season 4.

That was a shame after that stunning work on season 1. I loved LoK, and didn't even dislike parts of season 2 once it got passed the first few eps that messily reset things, but everything about season 2 was clearly their roughest production by far between the two shows (No doubt also adversely effected by Nick only deciding they were in for more after season 1 was doing incredibly well just like anyone with a brain would have expected lol). Some of Pierrot's work on it was actually better than the worst I expected even if it was nowhere near Mir's work on it. Was really glad Mir was able to come back later in the season and for the last two seasons to finish it as I really liked season 3 and 4 again.

whiskeyii wrote:
Despite the delays, however, when people put SAMG at the top of the list, it is far, faaaar above the other companies in terms of animation quality. I've always been disappointed that a show trying to ape an anime-esque style in 3D cut ties with the one company that seemed to really "get" what Miraculous Ladybug was aiming for as a show.

Oh yeah, I've randomly caught various season 1 eps on TV and remember them looking quite good. So weird they did a complete collection dvd for season 1 and then still have never done one for season 2.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
Sky Blue was an interesting piece of Korean animation. Samsung dumped a bunch of money into the production. It even got an English dub but it didn’t seem to do very well.
ryukage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

Did you not click the link?
animenewsnetwork.com/survey/867/
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
ryukage wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

Did you not click the link?
animenewsnetwork.com/survey/867/

When I did, it only said "Submit survey" and no options whatsoever appeared.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2