• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike the Blood Novel Series' Main Story to End

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Really sad to see it is ending hopefully the anime is going to adapt the remaining material Smile
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see it ending, as this is my favorite light novel series. Just finished reading all of volume 15 in one sitting the other day. And still waiting for some US licensor to pick up the OVA episodes! They're at the top of my anime wish list these days...
toprak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I have a really big prejudice regarding the novel, because I had seen it and also translated into my native language. It was horrible. Do you think it is worth to read?
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote
If the 3rd OVA covered up to the 17th volume, I wonder if the 4th will be able to finish the series? Or maybe just a short 5th OVA "season" to finish up if it doesn't. Regardless, it would be great to see the whole series animated (considering how much has been animated, I'd have to presume it's doing well enough to see that happen) =)
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
If the 3rd OVA covered up to the 17th volume, I wonder if the 4th will be able to finish the series? Or maybe just a short 5th OVA "season" to finish up if it doesn't. Regardless, it would be great to see the whole series animated (considering how much has been animated, I'd have to presume it's doing well enough to see that happen) =)

Remember volume 7-8, which covers the Prequel story of how Kojou became the way he is now, has not been adapted into anime form yet. Which is a shame, since I consider that the best part of the whole series.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Remember volume 7-8, which covers the Prequel story of how Kojou became the way he is now, has not been adapted into anime form yet. Which is a shame, since I consider that the best part of the whole series.

Yeah. I have no clue why they would not adapt the Volume that explains the protagonists backstory and how he became what he is. Really stupid.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:48 am Reply with quote
Otakuch wrote:
Actually, I have a really big prejudice regarding the novel, because I had seen it and also translated into my native language. It was horrible. Do you think it is worth to read?

I have to admit, it is kinda bad, but bad in a good way.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I actually had no idea. Guess they wanted to keep the momentum or something? Anyway, hopefully we can see that animated too!
Ryujin_Kurogami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I actually had no idea. Guess they wanted to keep the momentum or something? Anyway, hopefully we can see that animated too!

With the current OVAs' quality, I honestly would prefer not. The quality just isn't there. Maybe if Silver Link returned to work on it earnestly, sure, it could be fine. But if its just gonna be like the ones now? No, never mind. There are anime adaptations that are good, and then there's Strike the Blood's recent OVAs. It would've been nice if they at least loyally adapted the fight scenes. But imagine my reaction when the adaptation even got the color of one of Kojou's Beast Vassals wrong.

By the way, the article is kinda wrong in Strike the Blood III's adapted material. Strike the Blood III only adapted Volumes 13 to 15. Volume 17 is the LN adaptation of episodes 23 and 24 of the first and only Season which was an adaptation of the Yukina Before/After short story. Volume 18 happens to be the LN adaption of the first OVA series, Kingdom of the Valkyria. So, Strike the Blood IV would have Volumes 16, 19, 20, 21, and 22 to adapt, assuming this OVA series adapts all the way. But I get the feeling they might either skip a Volume (like with Volumes 7 and 8) or merge one into another (like with Volume 10).
Dokusonmaru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
I was also here to post that the 3rd OVA series adapts till vol 15 rather than 17, but I'll go into a bit more detail about a few things. The mistake goes as far back as this article (it's brought up in the forum disc as well): animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-03-09/strike-the-blood-gets-3rd-original-video-anime-season/.128806
It seems to be misinformation that originated from the LN editor at the event, or misleading/misinterpreted words from them. However, the ep titles tend to be very self explanatory in that they just match the title of the respective LNs they're adapting. The 4th OVA series adapted LN vol 16 in its first 2 eps.

Regarding LN 17; according to the wiki the 1st season adapted the short story Yukina Before/After rather than LN 17 itself (which is an expanded version of the that original side story). I don't read the LNs so I can't confirm this myself (but from tracing the edit history of the wiki, the info was added by someone whose familiar with the LNs). Assuming this is true, we might see parts of vol 17 adapted in the 4th OVA series. It also seems that a 5th series was already confirmed at a screening event last Dec. This seems like closed fan information, so I'm also not entirely sure about this either.

Ryujin_Kurogami wrote:

With the current OVAs' quality, I honestly would prefer not. The quality just isn't there. Maybe if Silver Link returned to work on it earnestly, sure, it could be fine. But if its just gonna be like the ones now? No, never mind. There are anime adaptations that are good, and then there's Strike the Blood's recent OVAs. It would've been nice if they at least loyally adapted the fight scenes. But imagine my reaction when the adaptation even got the color of one of Kojou's Beast Vassals wrong.

The first 2 eps of the 4th series were affected by COVID. And inspite of the 2 week delay the eps were clearly not ready yet, but pushed to come out. Anime productions were already being affected months before we started hearing about slews of delays. Much of what we have still airing this season are anime that were already finished before they aired or were very far along in production.

But Strike the Blood's schedule has always been horrible and is more than likely the fault of some of the companies on the production committee. TV series+2nd OVA series were Silver Link x Connect. 3rd and 4th OVA series were Connect alone. Frankly, the 2nd series which Silver Link were still a part of, faced worse production issues than the 3rd series. Even back during the 1st season, the drawings were highly inconsistent and evident of many production issues. I don't even know why I watch this series again...

Also, the main staff of director, series composer (writer), and character designer hasn't changed from the first season. There was the addition of another character designer starting with the 3rd series, but the original char designer never left.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1