• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Montreal's Otakuthon to Hold Virtual Event on August 15-16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
How many cons have charged for virtual events so far? I mean, good luck with that. It will be interesting to see how this works out. But, just curious, how accessible is Otakuthon to anglophones?
Soldat of life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Otakuthon is pretty much bilingual (French and English), so you shouldn't have much trouble finding content in your preferred tongue. I've been volunteering/staffing/attending since 2011 and this is pretty much my favorite convention so far (compared to Anime North, Otakon, Nadeshicon (which I co-founded), G-Anime, Animaracon, etc)

I'll be a pure attendee this year and I'm hyped to see how it will go through. If things go well, Otakuthon could become part physical and part digital in the years to come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I've been going to every Otakuthon since my first back in 2009 and.....I dunno for this one. I applaud the fact they've been able to find an alternative rather than cancelling the event right out of the gate, but they really need to make some concrete announcements and add more meat around the bone.

Half the fun of the convention is the giant party atmosphere, which will be hard to replicate virtually. I don't think I'm up and willing to spend a full weekend in front of my computer watching a giant Zoom/Teams meeting. The fact it's going to be available on VOD is interesting, but it all depends on which panels & activities are being offered.

Still on the fence, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1