• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan Sinks 2020 Producer Nori Ueki Reveals Details About Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Ferguson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
OMG.
Don’t Sinnk—
My Heart!
Couldn’t stop watching until final episode 10 credits rolled...
down my cheek.
Another memorable production from Yuasa-san,
albeit a Masterpiece!
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Mike Ferguson wrote:
OMG.
Couldn’t stop watching until final episode 10 credits rolled...

You're made of sterner stuff than I am.

After the second episode, I had to take a break. Just watched the third episode, and I have to take another one. It wasn't the final scene of the 3rd episode either,spoiler[ I'm pretty sure that's just a tease.] The earlier parts of the 3rd episode were just so unpleasant, that even with the cliffhanger, I didn't want to watch the next episode right away.

It is very well made, but heartbreakingly depressing.

I'm considering just watching one episode per week, even though it is Netflix.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
Loved this series & I'd watched it but some of the scenes or stories that looks like it was skipped. And also I wish the creators of Japan Sinks 2020 should turn it into an anime mini-series & each episodes are on a 1 hour running and contains only 5 episodes instead of 10 episodes on a 30 minute run. They should had done that in the 1st place and who knows, if this should had been a mini-series, then get a nod at the Primetime Emmys this year for Best Limited Series category & it'll mark a history as the 1st anime mini-series to get a nod at the Emmys. Netflix had already got a nod on that category for their mini-series, When They See Us last year but they'd lost to Chernobyl.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:

After the second episode, I had to take a break. Just watched the third episode, and I have to take another one. It wasn't the final scene of the 3rd episode either,spoiler[ I'm pretty sure that's just a tease.] The earlier parts of the 3rd episode were just so unpleasant, that even with the cliffhanger, I didn't want to watch the next episode right away.

It is very well made, but heartbreakingly depressing.

I'm considering just watching one episode per week, even though it is Netflix.

Well, I started watching again, and the story went from grim and depressing to just plain ridiculous IMO. The entire Shan city arc was silly. Also, the sheer number of completely unbelievable miraculous "coincidences" that kept occurring in succession to keep the plot moving, became increasingly difficult to swallow.

The animation was very good, but the story, not so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1