• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Villain in the Mirror: Subaru Natsuki and Betelgeuse

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Great write-up. Really was a well-written character...I did hate his overall design tho lol

Also, FWIW his name is Petelgeuse. Crunchyroll had his name wrong for the entirety of Season 1, but they seemed to have corrected it in Season 2...though Pack's name is still wrongly being subbed as Puck. Can see the correct names on the official site: http://re-zero-anime.jp/tv/character/
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I would've had more faith in this kind of interpretation if the first episode of the second season didn't introduce two enemies just as obnoxious as Betelgeuse. So rather than Betelgeuse being reflective of Subaru's traits in particular, it just seems like that's the kind of villain the author writes.

EDIT: Still really liked the article though.

Last edited by killjoy_the on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Also, FWIW his name is Petelgeuse. Crunchyroll had his name wrong for the entirety of Season 1, but they seemed to have corrected it in Season 2...
I did see that, but... isn't it supposed to be a star reference?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Also, FWIW his name is Petelgeuse. Crunchyroll had his name wrong for the entirety of Season 1, but they seemed to have corrected it in Season 2...
I did see that, but... isn't it supposed to be a star reference?

While it is a plot point that the Archbishops (and Subaru) are named after different stars, Petelgeuse is a bit of an odd exception to this. His name is a deliberate misspelling of the Betelgeuse star, and when asked in a Q&A why that is, the author said that it would be explained at a later point in the novels.

Also Puck is actually the correct name for the little cat spirit.

killjoy_the wrote:
I would've had more faith in this kind of interpretation if the first episode of the second season didn't introduce two enemies just as obnoxious as Betelgeuse. So rather than Betelgeuse being reflective of Subaru's traits in particular, it just seems like that's the kind of villain the author writes.

Just because all the Archbishops are crazy, doesn't mean they're all the same brand of crazy. Regulus in particular is basically just Ben Shapiro if he was an evil cultist (so basically just Ben Shapiro). Lye might seem like another Petelgeuse but we've only also known him for 3 minutes, so we can't know that for sure.

And the text from the light novel also makes it explicit that Petelgeuse was written as a twisted, corrupted foil to Subaru.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't think it merely coincidental that P/Betelgeuse is played by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, whom we'd normally expect to see as the male lead in isekai harem/power-fantasy wish fulfillment anime.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I can't think it merely coincidental that P/Betelgeuse is played by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, whom we'd normally expect to see as the male lead in isekai harem/power-fantasy wish fulfillment anime.

I remember that shocking moment. I don't believe for a second that casting was a coincidence.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just because all the Archbishops are crazy, doesn't mean they're all the same brand of crazy. Regulus in particular is basically just Ben Shapiro if he was an evil cultist (so basically just Ben Shapiro). Lye might seem like another Petelgeuse but we've only also known him for 3 minutes, so we can't know that for sure.

[expletive] Ben Shapiro??? Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure I buy the Subaru/Betelguese mirror image thing, but the article was an excellent reminder of why I wanted to punch Subaru in the face so often in Season 1.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:21 am Reply with quote
I like the takeaway that the biggest value of Rem’s confession was Subaru finally learning to listen to another person’s perspective—even if it was about himself. Which isn’t a knock; it’s hard for people who are prone to self loathing/low self esteem and fear of rejection to appreciate their positive qualities fully. And Subaru’s rejection of Rem is actually selfless, because at that point in the story it would be easier to run away with her—and leave their allies for dead.

I like the parallel of Subaru and P/Betelgeuse, if only because it adds credence to the theory that Subaru might be an archbishop or potential archbishop himself. It will be interesting to see if the other archbishops exhibit isekai protagonist archetypes...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:25 am Reply with quote
The archbishop of Sloth really did feel like a warning of what a character like Subaru could become if he let his most toxic impulses take over. I remember really liking it all as a confrontation of that sort of toxicity that otaku can have, and shouldn't be held up as a good thing. Lest our brain tremble.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not really sure I buy the Subaru/Betelguese mirror image thing, but the article was an excellent reminder of why I wanted to punch Subaru in the face so often in Season 1.

Same. I dropped the series after season 1 because I couldn't stand Subaru's possessive "nice guy" personality and Rem's complete lack of a personality besides obsessive hero-worshiping of first her sister, then Subaru. It didn't help that P/Betelgeuse was super annoying.

I randomly checked out "The Frozen Bond" OVA (AKA Emilia and Puck's backstory) and that was actually very good, but it could be because Puck was one of the few characters I liked, and all the many characters I didn't hardly showed up in it.

Maybe the main series gets better, but I don't think I'll be sticking around to find out...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1