• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg: Nintendo Switch Gets Upgraded Model in 2021

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the new model comes with updated joycons too? (Insert frustration about controller drift here).
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Day one buy if they can promise to improve the fps drop in demanding games or at the very least no drifting and reduce the lag input in SSBU.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Will you still be able to play new Switch games on the current models?
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Hasn’t this been a regularly occurring rumor for about 3+ years in a row now?

But, I mean, at some point it has to be true. I guess as time goes by, ONE of these publications making this prediction will end up getting it right by coincidence.

Bloomberg... American journalism at work!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:

But, I mean, at some point it has to be true. I guess as time goes by, ONE of these publications making this prediction will end up getting it right by coincidence.

Bloomberg... American journalism at work!

Pretty much; everyone has been claiming there's gonna be a "Switch Pro" any day now. It's "Boy Who Cried Wolf" at this point.
se37

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Every time I hear this rumor, I roll my eyes. We've heard this for the past few years now. People forget that we already got an upgraded model of the Switch last year. They did new hardware but in the end it gave us a much better battery life. I wouldn't be surprised if this "new model" is the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bloomberg's sources reportedly said that Nintendo "has looked into including more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics."

There's a period there, but I have to imagine there's a "for Tetris 99 and Minecraft" at the end of that sentence.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
As others have said before, every year since the Switch came out different sources claim that a new Pro model is going to come but the only thing we got was the Switch Lite, which was kind of predictable in hindsight. However, this time a new model is possible, considering that we're entering a new generation and Nintendo has to compete with more powerful hardware, but the specifications that some of these sources claim sound kind of doubtful, I don't know how gaming specs work but I don't think Nintendo is ready for 4K resolution yet, they always tended to favor old tech in most of their consoles like the Game Boy and Wii, for better or for worse.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:

Well, about a year ago, they did release (with little fanfare) an upgraded version with better battery life. Whatever they're planning in 2021, if anything, could be something like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1