• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shaman King Anime's Teaser Reveals Cast, Staff

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
You know, I don't see Shaman King working in this day and age as a publicized TV show.

As a discretion for moderators: I don't mean to get into political arguments or start anything, but Shaman King was one hell of a politically incorrect manga with things that still raise eyebrows. But I won't get too descriptive there. It's just how people would react to this now that makes me curious
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, we're really getting the same seiyuu cast. I'm all for the original seiyuus, but I also kinda wanted new voices. Still cool, though~
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
Wow, we're really getting the same seiyuu cast. I'm all for the original seiyuus, but I also kinda wanted new voices. Still cool, though~

Yoh's been recast, so I'd imagine it's only Amidamaru, Anna, & Hao that'll keep their old voices, probably as a compromise with Takei to make this adaptation happen at all.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Man I seriously believed they would animate those weapon power-ups like what was just shown in the PV in CG.

Glad to be proven wrong.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see (before remake) original series with original voices, but I am kinda happy that Megumi Hayashibara is gonna reprise her role, same for Katsuyuki Konishi, and Minami Takayama.

Btw, I think this is the first time I heard Yoko Hikasa voicing male character - she really sounds good as Yoh.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The PV looked pretty good but I hope Studio Bridge being in charge won’t be a bad sign for this reboot. Though I thought the animation for The Royal Tutor was good so it’s not like everything they do is bad that I don’t think we should start panicking yet.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
FiendHunter wrote:

Yoh's been recast, so I'd imagine it's only Amidamaru, Anna, & Hao that'll keep their old voices, probably as a compromise with Takei to make this adaptation happen at all.
To be fair, they probably change the Yoh voice because Yuuko Sato is not actually active as a seiyuu nowadays and decided to not work anymore, especially on the big role - her last work as a voice actor dated as back as 2016, while other three are still working as usual.

Quote:
Btw, I think this is the first time I heard Yoko Hikasa voicing male character - she really sounds good as Yoh.
Not first for sure - Free (she played shota Rei) and Dimension W comes in mind.
batwing321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
My greatest wish is if we could get the 4Kids cast back without the 4Kids censorship. And yeah, for that to happen it'd have to be union, since a lot of the main cast like Sebastian Arcelus and Andrew Rannells are pretty big time now. Maybe it won't be possible to get the whole gang back together, but if NYAV gets to handle it, maybe...

BTW, anyone know who voiced Jaco? He was really good, but I never saw it clarified who voiced him.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
batwing321 wrote:
My greatest wish is if we could get the 4Kids cast back without the 4Kids censorship.
I don't know if some of the casting choices 4Kids made for the Shaman King dub would be appropriate for an anime dub in 2020, like giving Ren who is Chinese a pseudo British accent.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
batwing321 wrote:
My greatest wish is if we could get the 4Kids cast back without the 4Kids censorship. And yeah, for that to happen it'd have to be union, since a lot of the main cast like Sebastian Arcelus and Andrew Rannells are pretty big time now. Maybe it won't be possible to get the whole gang back together, but if NYAV gets to handle it, maybe...

So basically you want a Netflix dub?
toprak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
Oh, great. I would have thought they would be sucks more than previous one. It made me feel great Anime catgrin.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

As a discretion for moderators: I don't mean to get into political arguments or start anything, but Shaman King was one hell of a politically incorrect manga with things that still raise eyebrows. But I won't get too descriptive there. It's just how people would react to this now that makes me curious

Other than Chocolove's design (and backstory), Tanuki balls, HoroHoro maybe or maybe not having sex with that park ranger chick, and some other stuff later on it didn't have that many a yikes moment.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't know if some of the casting choices 4Kids made for the Shaman King dub would be appropriate for an anime dub in 2020, like giving Ren who is Chinese a pseudo British accent.

I mean you do have British born chinese so it's not too far fetched.

Compared to say giving people random accents with no logic around it something that both 4Kids & Funimation were bad about back in the day.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
That’s a lot of stuff you pointed out and not really minor. But you left out how creepy Ryunosuke is as well.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
I hope Funimation gets this. At least they can have Sean voice Amidamaru again if nothing else
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I mean you do have British born chinese so it's not too far fetched.

Compared to say giving people random accents with no logic around it something that both 4Kids & Funimation were bad about back in the day.
There was also Sean Schemmel doing a fake Spanish accent for Ryu for some reason. I know the Shaman King dub is nostalgic for a lot of fans but nowadays you have dubbed anime and voice acting in animation in general moving into a direction of more authentic diverse casting for characters that going back to the stereotyped accents of the 4Kids days would feel like a step backwards for the sake of appealing to nostalgia. And we've had other anime dubs like Sailor Moon that did a modern recasting and they turned out very well liked by a lot of fans even though there's still that nostalgia for the original dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4