• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Aniplex USA to Release Demon Slayer Film in N. American Theaters in Early 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SP654

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
It would be great if all the theaters in New York were opened but no because of damn covid!
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, given how we Americans handle Covid-19, even if there will be some changes in government post election, I am still not certain if sitting inside a theater as soon as early 2021 would be a good idea (And that also assumes movie theaters are in normal operation, which can still be a big “if”). Ughhhh...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Title correction: they AIM to release it

At the rate most states are going, it won't be safe early next year. Dozens of states are getting worse again. This pattern just keeps happening. We improve by following procedures and having mask mandates that are enforced. Then we relax the restrictions and ask people to practice social distancing and such. They don't listen and weeks later things start getting much worse again and we gave to repeat the whole thing. All while people are dying from the virus.

It would honestly make far more sense for them to just release it on streaming. Put it on Amazon and YouTube for $9.99 rental or something. They'd probably make more profit overall that way since even of some states have theaters open, it won't be many and it basically costs them nothing to do this but it has a much wider reach.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why companies are still trying to release movies in theaters right now. COVID is still raging. People aren't going to see movies in large numbers. Especially for anime movies, where they buy a handful of slots at theaters, I can't imagine they'll make a profit off this. I also can't imagine box office numbers for other movies will be anywhere near good right now.

I'm sure there have been, and will continue to be, some people who will go see these movies in the theater, risking their health and safety, as well as the health and safety of others, in the process. With that in mind, the decision of these companies to release this movie (and companies in general that are continuing to release movies in theaters) is willfully endangering people. It's incredibly irresponsible. If there were no movies being shown in theaters, people wouldn't go, thus reducing their risk for spreading or contracting COVID.

Decisions like this sicken and infuriate me.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Not gonna lie, given how we Americans handle Covid-19, even if there will be some changes in government post election, I am still not certain if sitting inside a theater as soon as early 2021 would be a good idea (And that also assumes movie theaters are in normal operation, which can still be a big “if”). Ughhhh...
Also it assumes that many will still be in business. Movie theaters are bleeding money right now, they need relief. Hollywood is in a bit of a panic mode as well because of how important the theatrical revenue is. Streaming and VOD can't support movies with very large budgets.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-09-30/hollywood-fears-for-movies-theaters-survival-amid-covid-19-pandemic
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/no-time-to-die-movie-theaters-struggle-1234790996/
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21501986/regal-cineworld-picturehouse-closing-theaters-october-8
https://screenrant.com/tenet-movie-box-office-movie-theaters-loss-costs/
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/month/september/?grossesOption=calendarGrosses
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_secondarytab
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2020/ (First year since 1995 a movie won't hit $450 million worldwide)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBu-yWA2m8E

I've worked at a movie theater for 8 years and things are bad. Our normal Friday and Saturday business pre-pandemic was 1,000-2,000+ people. Our best business since reopening was 300+ people for New Mutants opening Friday, and after Labor Day, many days struggle to hit 100-200 people. I've been unable to get hours, I haven't worked 20+ hours in a single week since March, and lately, getting 10 hours is a struggle. I was supposed to get 10 hours this week, I was told not to come in on Sunday nor Tuesday, so now I have 0 this week, that's how bad business is. People don't feel safe despite the mask mandates in many states (like mine), the reduced capacity (which we're not remotely getting close to anyway) and social distancing seating (can't sell seats next to each other if you're not in a group, also only 11 of our 17 auditoriums are open), there's nothing to see, and many don't have money as there's still a looming eviction crisis (20-40 million Americans are at risk of eviction, and the moratoriums aren't cancelling rent, people are getting further behind on it), high unemployment, and people with pay cuts or lost hours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megax36

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I stated this back when it was first announced that the movie would not be premiering in US theaters this year. I don't think this movie will end up being profitable in theaters anywhere outside of Japan, especially if they decide to resume telling the story through the TV series, and that ends up getting released before this movie comes to American theaters.

There is no movie that is going to make maximum profit getting released during this pandemic. Heck, look at how they keep pushing back the release date for '007- No Time to Die', it just got moved to spring 2021! There's also the high probability that this film will leak to the net once it begins showing in other countries, before it ever comes to American theaters!

As someone else already stated, offering a streaming platform would be the smartest move for this film.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see it confirmed to be coming here (if it wasn't already), but even if it does actually come to theaters, I have no interest in going to one to see this (though I probably would have if things were normal).
Hopefully this comes home before what I presume to be an inevitable second season.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:39 am Reply with quote
The way aniplex have been trying to go back to movie screenings so casually in a market that physically cannot support it right now is infuriating. They're doing the same thing with the Fate Heaven's Feel 3rd movie, and even EARLIER at that. I want to see it so badly but cannot risk going to a theater as early as next month to see a limited screening of a movie. I don't understand why a digital showing was not planned for either release, because I know they will be earning their money for the Blurays regardless of screenings.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:57 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't risk going to the movies right now and I wouldn't feel safe doing so but I think in a lot of these cases the anime studios are probably under contract that they have to release them in theaters as part of their licensing deal and they likely can't back out of it. Also in the case on Funimation and Aniplex, they're owned by Japanese corporations who probably don't understand the health crisis in the US when the situation is very different with theaters in Japan. But I feel like companies during this time should at least make the gap of time between theater and home video releases shorter.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:33 am Reply with quote
If they cared they would release it digitally like Sentai did with the Made in Abyss movie
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I know this is kind of outside the "covid and cinemas" topic but how about some love for the Europeans?

Americans mostly get attention but a lot of European countries (yes even the UK) don't always get the right attention with these anime movies. Fair enough going cinemas nowadays, even here in England or anywhere in the UK isn't exclty recommended or safe. The cinema company, Cineworld has actaully shut down it's buiness down for all of its cinemas across the UK however there are still other Cinemas available.

Regardless I would wish to see this movie somehow even if I gotta pay to rent it online, if it is made available to Europe.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I would probably see it in theaters if it got a screening released in my city, but I wouldn't eat any popcorn probably and not remove my mask at all. I'm guessing that they're considering theatrical release is that they're making more money that way than direct Bluray or digital sales, along with getting attendance numbers for future promotional and business use.

A mutual saw the Made in Abyss movie in theaters and it was pretty empty anyways. But that is on a different scale of fans, like imagine if a new My Hero Academia movie came out or something like Promare? A lot of people would be attending because of the experience of watching something on the big screen is very fun and memorable.

I think a lot of people in the US don't feel safe at movie theaters right now because there's no way of enforcing mask rules since people are drinking and eating anyways, which means possible chance of getting coronavirus. I don't even remember the last movie that I saw in theaters...
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I saw Akira last month and I felt safe. There were only a few people in the Room, witch is normally how it is when they show anime films, and I wasn't close to anyone. Some of the people did have their masks off when they were eating, but as long as I'm not seated right next to them it doesn't bother me.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
So...did they just decide it was going to be safe? Cause you know if it's not safe now why would it be safe then? Y'all have fun.
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:28 am Reply with quote
Didn't Regal just shut down all of their movie theaters again?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2