• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Teikoku Databank: Anime Industry Growth Slowed in 2019 to 11-Year Low

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
The fact that they can still talk about growth in this cluster**** of a year is impressive in itself. The entertainment industry in many other countries will be happy if it simply lasts until next year.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
The article talks about 2019 figures. We'll know 2020 figures by next year. Note that the COVID-19 started to impact things near Spring 2020.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
Truth be told, i think this is one area were a decline is a good thing, unlike a decade ago, the industry is heavy saturated, countless repetitive stories being made that dont sell or go anywhere, overworked animators and studios with little to no pay and general quality of production getting dragged to the month. The industry can not sustain itself if it does not adapt and change its current model, so until it does a drop might do more good than harm. That is just my analysis of the situation.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote
356 separate productions a year was the peak in 2017? Jesus. At least we now know what the anime ceiling looks like: 2.3 billion. That’s 6.460.674 $ per project if we decide to divide the whole sum though all theoretical anime.

Covid will upend next year´s list but that is what it is. Anime clearly took a hit in 2020 but it and animation itself will walk out of this mess fine enough despite us ending up with basically 2 gimped seasons. Even live-action TV and streaming films are up and running again, just with added complexities and costs. Let's see who will end up bankrupt by year´s end. How is Gonzo still around?
Was Xebec the "dissolution" btw? They kinda folded in 2019.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
Gonzos been playing it safe with kids anime so they should be pretty viable. All told most studios are still working non stop its just productions which get delayed.

2017 was a very big year. Im not surprised to see things shrink. The mid teens where getting crazy with licensing anything that moves. We still see a bunch getting licensed and pushed out as cheap promotional work. I would be glad to see some focus on putting on a good show rather then over working studios. But that might be naive.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote
I'm not sad to see the total number of productions decline. Fewer, higher-quality shows would be a welcome change from the amount of dreck we see each season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1