• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mamoru Hosoda: Storyboards for Next Work Are 'Just About Done'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
That’s good news. Hosoda has been keeping a really consistent 3-year schedule since 2006, though it sounds like it might take a little bit longer this time. I’m already looking forward to his next movie!
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Digimon - Never saw it, not interested in the franchise.

Superflat Monogram - Never saw it.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Great!

Summer Wars - Great!

Wolf Children - Great!

The Boy and The Beast - okay

Mirai - okay

Hosoda has been up and down with me, but I'm always eager to see what he does next. His highs are high, and his lows are so-so. Hopefully this falls into the great category.

I pretty much consider him Shinkai's rival in terms of original mainstream Anime films.

Miyazaki's winding down. But I'm also really looking forward to Katsuhiro Otomo making a comeback for that once-in-a-lifetime film.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I want to see Hosoda make one with pure fighting in it.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Digimon - Never saw it, not interested in the franchise.

His Digimon films (he did two of them) are actually pretty good. The first one is a prequel to the series which requires no prior knowledge and the second one is essentially a prototype for Summer Wars. (The internet side of Summer Wars is almost a beat for beat remake of Bokura no War Game.) They’re both pretty short at only 20 and 40 minutes respectively.

The English dub of Digimon: The Movie is an entirely different beast though, mashing them together with the third Digimon film and making some nonsensical attempts to tie the plots of the three films together...

(There’s also a One Piece film he did, which is one of the best ones prior to the mangaka getting involved in the latest ones.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1