• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hasbro's New Power Rangers Reboot Planned as Both Film, TV Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I heard Hasbro wants to end it's partnership with Toei but.. not even sure how that'd work and yet still allow them tol use the sentai license Laughing Probably bogus, but I wonder if this is the animated TV show people were talking about
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the 2017 film, and wish that could be continued. It had a fantastic cast, although Naomi Scott has since gone onto star in the Aladdin remake and the Charlie's Angels reboot, so she might be difficult to bring back.
RoninX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Don’t tell me that they’re going to abandon decades worth of Lore..... right?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:52 am Reply with quote
It's fine to do something original for movies and I enjoyed the 2017 film but I don't know that I would like it if they got rid of the Super Sentai footage entirely or went in an animated series direction. It's the toku special effects that's part of the main draw of Power Rangers to me and I also worry that going with an entirely original American made series would signal that Hasbro has no intention of ever letting Shout Factory release any more subbed Super Sentai DVDs and if this ends up turning into another situation like Harmony Gold and Macross.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
"Both the television and film plans?" Does this means that they're planning to make an original PR television series without the involment of Toei and Bandai?
I always wondered if a completely original Power Ranger series could be possible, maybe if the budget was on par with productions like Flash or Arrow (I don't think PR's budget is that large, especially since the primary fight scenes are just the Sentai footage)
Still, I still don't understand how the rights work since Hasbro has the rights instead of Bandai
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:12 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
"Both the television and film plans?" Does this means that they're planning to make an original PR television series without the involment of Toei and Bandai?
I always wondered if a completely original Power Ranger series could be possible, maybe if the budget was on par with productions like Flash or Arrow (I don't think PR's budget is that large, especially since the primary fight scenes are just the Sentai footage)
Still, I still don't understand how the rights work since Hasbro has the rights instead of Bandai

I think the main thing stopping Hasbro, and Saban before them, from doing their own thing has always been budget. Power Rangers is already pretty low budget and relies on existing footage and costumes to even exist, along with cheap labor laws for filming in New Zealand. When companies tried their own production we got even lower budget short-lived shows like Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills.

I'm sure they have wanted to do their own thing for a long time, though. It would be a dream for them to milk the Mighty Morphin era without relying on footage like they do for the comics and other media. An animated series could do that forever, and have numerous reboots and revivals with the same characters over and over again like Transformers, Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Scooby Doo, and all those franchises do every few years rather than trying to make every new sentai fit the MMPR mold in style and theme. Although animation is more expensive so it'll either be really low budget or they might invest more in a cartoon than a live-action show.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
RoninX wrote:
Don’t tell me that they’re going to abandon decades worth of Lore..... right?

The press release notes that this a "non-kids" project. So it sounds separate from the regular show.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
So this will be completely original with no Sentai footage? Interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1