Forum - View topic
REVIEW: I Guess I Became the Mother of the Great Demon King's 10 Children GN 1


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 270
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
There is one with one of those super descriptive titles: "I Am The Demon King. I Got Remarried to A Mother of A Brave Woman, So She Became My Daughter-In-Law".

Is about the Demon King marring the (Girl)Hero's mother, the punchline is that the DK is a more descent person than the Hero and he must raise her to grow as a responsable adult.

I just wanna mention it because is more or less the same premise but without the cuestionable parts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor Sedna



Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 979
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Reading the description of some of the jokes...........nope. Passing on this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FiendHunter



Joined: 02 Dec 2019
Posts: 49
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Was it necessary for the girl to be 16? Was it to have her breastfeed her child in a serafuku? Idk that's just really weird to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Thacker
Subscriber



Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 883
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
while feeding An, Akari feels sexual pleasure. Since that's not how breastfeeding works (something Toyama likely knows, since she mentions that she had a baby while working on the manga), this is an issue


Not for most women, but it's definitely not unknown for women to experience sexual pleasure from breastfeeding their child. It's true that there are lots of people out there to say "that's not how it works," which is why it's treated as taboo, but just because fewer than one in five or one in ten women experience it doesn't mean that's nonexistent.

Indeed, perhaps Toyama is basing it on her own experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 270
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
while feeding An, Akari feels sexual pleasure. Since that's not how breastfeeding works (something Toyama likely knows, since she mentions that she had a baby while working on the manga), this is an issue


Not for most women, but it's definitely not unknown for women to experience sexual pleasure from breastfeeding their child. It's true that there are lots of people out there to say "that's not how it works," which is why it's treated as taboo, but just because fewer than one in five or one in ten women experience it doesn't mean that's nonexistent.

Indeed, perhaps Toyama is basing it on her own experience.


I heard this once, but I didn't want to question the reviwer since I am not an expert.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4733
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
When the news of this manga came out, someone told me it wasn't about Akari giving birth to babies, but rather taking care of the Demon Kings children. Guess I was being played. Seems it is really about making babies with the Demon King. Maybe if this was a horror manga I might give it a go, but not this route. And really, what Demon King worth his salt would settle for a potion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1880
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
while feeding An, Akari feels sexual pleasure. Since that's not how breastfeeding works (something Toyama likely knows, since she mentions that she had a baby while working on the manga), this is an issue


Not for most women, but it's definitely not unknown for women to experience sexual pleasure from breastfeeding their child. It's true that there are lots of people out there to say "that's not how it works," which is why it's treated as taboo, but just because fewer than one in five or one in ten women experience it doesn't mean that's nonexistent.

Indeed, perhaps Toyama is basing it on her own experience.


That’s all well and good for real-world women, but in the context of this manga and its demographic, it definitely sounds like it’s leaning a lot more into the “dur-hur boobs” fanservice aspect of shonen rather than any sort of true to life depiction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samuelp



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 2139
Location: San Antonio, USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:29 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

That’s all well and good for real-world women, but in the context of this manga and its demographic, it definitely sounds like it’s leaning a lot more into the “dur-hur boobs” fanservice aspect of shonen rather than any sort of true to life depiction.

I feel like we need to somehow separate the concepts in our minds, similar to how no one these days is like "if their eyes were actually that big, there would be no room for their brain" commentary is just explained by saying they're "anime girls", we don't treat them the same as normal human girls.
So anime girls have anime boobs. Anime boobs don't work the same as real life boobs, obviously. Gravity being a pretty important example #1. It'd be a valid complaint if this manga made any kind of token attempt at being a realistic depiction of child bearing/rearing, but it doesn't, so like I think the more likely reason it makes people uncomfortable isn't because of how unrealistic it is, but because it's basically a hentai manga trope in a mainstream manga.
At least, I don't recall too many shounen manga going with that kind of fanservice in the past, it does seem out of place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
andramus



Joined: 19 Apr 2020
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
I don't know why this stuck in my head all these years - perhaps I'm a perv? - but getting close to twenty years ago there was an episode of a TV show called Boston Public that brought up the topic of sexual arousal from breastfeeding.

If I remember correctly the deputy principal caught a student giving his girlfriend nipple stimulation in a hallway or stairwell. This later lead to the deputy having a conversation with his girlfriend about nipple induced orgasms where she revealed that she had experienced them when breastfeeding her son.

A quick internet search turned up a number of articles on the subject. Here's one such from Todays Parent. Of course you can't always trust the internet so I'll leave it to others to decide whether or not they find any of these articles valid.

I've just read this graphic novel and it is pretty overtly lewd and fan servicey. I do think some of it is justified for comedic effect even in a "have your cake and eat it too" way with the character of Jyll and her attire. I actually laughed a couple of times reading this. The first time was when Akari went to the toilet. Although I was confused by the "RMBL" SFX because I thought that meant she needed to poop but she only needed to pee.

All that said I suppose an argument can be mounted that it wasn't really neccessary or particularly comedic for Akari to be aroused by breastfeeding. I just don't think the argument that women's bodies don't work that way carries weight as a reason for why that scene should not have been included.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
octopodpie
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: Washington State
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to regret posting this but I think it's time to move AWAY from this particular topic of conversation.

First, I don't know whether to blame the sources posted or not but lactating and breastfeeding probably shouldn't be used synonymously unless you want to make women uncomfortable. The image most people conjure up when you say "breastfeeding" is specifically feeding an infant. Most women aren't huge fans of relating the two for a myriad of reasons:

1. It sexualizes a natural process which has actually led to legislation and court actions to be allowed to feed their children in public places. This has been an uphill battle and you only have to head over to mommy message boards to see that there are still men and women alike who think babies should be fed on bathroom toilets because boobs are sexy and might arouse the men around them.

2. Suggesting that women get off while feeding their babies also makes women uncomfortable because it has pedophila vibes since the baby is an unwitting participant.

Like Sam said earlier, this is basically a hentai trope in a non-hentai manga which, again, if you didn't know you were signing up for it when you bought it, can also be extremely uncomfortable.

Once you take the infant out of the equation, that's a whole different thing. But this seems to be taking "some women find the sensation of their milk coming down as pleasurable" and blowing it up to justify some ero content that the reviewer didn't care for. Some women also found contractions during childbirth (and delivering) pleasurable. It's a minority but it exists. So what?

--Sincerely, someone who breastfed two children.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 661
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
But this seems to be taking "some women find the sensation of their milk coming down as pleasurable" and blowing it up to justify some ero content that the reviewer didn't care for. Some women also found contractions during childbirth (and delivering) pleasurable. It's a minority but it exists. So what?

I completely agree with everything you said, however... it probably would've helped if the reviewer hadn't phrased it as "that's not how breastfeeding works". Because that is, in fact, how it works for some women (in fact I know someone like this, and she had some pretty weird feelings of guilt to work through when she found out), and while in this case it may be just an ero trope, it's a convenient enough excuse for people to fall back on.

(Generally, I think some reviewers would do well to do spend a couple of minutes googling before making declarations like that, especially when it's something people will very predictably latch onto.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 2050
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

(Generally, I think some reviewers would do well to do spend a couple of minutes googling before making declarations like that


I did, actually - I researched it in the databases at the university I teach at. The information came from The International Encyclopedia of Human Sexuality. While the phrasing could have been better, the research was done.

Now, as Octopodpie asked, let's move away from this topic of conversation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThrowMeOut



Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 142
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Did the writer of this story get the idea from watching some trash tv, and thought combining teen mom reality shows with fantasy was a winning formula? This story just seems... a wee bit skeevy, and not in the fun way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1880
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

Did the writer of this story get the idea from watching some trash tv, and thought combining teen mom reality shows with fantasy was a winning formula? This story just seems... a wee bit skeevy, and not in the fun way.


It does feel like an odd take for this demographic. If this were a shoujo, I could sort of see the niche appeal of this being some kind of domestic fantasy, but even as a fanservice title, how does this appeal to the arguable target demo of young to teenage boys with a topic as alien as motherhood? Confused Unlike that other series (Do You Love Your Mother and Her Two-Hit Combo or something like that), at least that had an insert male protag for readers to relate to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 661
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
f this were a shoujo, I could sort of see the niche appeal of this being some kind of domestic fantasy, but even as a fanservice title, how does this appeal to the arguable target demo of young to teenage boys with a topic as alien as motherhood? Confused

I mean... I haven't read this manga, but from what I'm getting it's not actual motherhood that we're talking about here? Sexualized motherhood, on the other hand, is a relatively popular porn trope. MILF aside, there's the whole aspect of pregnancy and children being sort of like sex trophies, then there's the physical changes for those who are into that sort of thing (boobs tend to grow, there's weight gain, etc.) and so on.

For that matter though, I'm not sure this is meant for "young teenage boys"... girls and women can and do enjoy ero and porny stuff, too, and this manga looks like a tamer version of the usual, female-targeted "TL" fare.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group