• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Switching Positions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Switch: All I care about right now on the announcement front is Bayonetta 3.

Virtual On: 100%. It was the arcade experience that made it special. For what it's worth, the gameplay seems to live on spiritually in those Gundam arena games. Whatever happens to Virtual On, the mecha designs will forever remain stellar.

StrIVe: They are not going to overhaul that lobby system in two months, but I do expect them to make it functional. Like, not teleporting to the other side of the room when trying to initiate a match with the person next to you kind of functional. More importantly, ArcSys continues to listen to and incorporate fair & honest feedback. It's actually pretty incredible, and something I don't think anyone is taking for granted.

KOF XV: Andy's glow up took everyone by surprise. Community is also 50/50 on whether we get classic Team Fatal Fury with Terry, or another shake-up with Mai leading Andy & Joe next. Curiously, we didn't get the "tune in next week" message, and March 15th is Terry Bogard's birthday. Makes one wonder...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
There's also the most intriguing tech demo of the day - "Niantic and Microsoft demo a proof-of-concept HoloLens version of Pokemon Go" Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICaWblVgv6A

(And yeah, your Pokemon buddy walks with you when you move around)

Also, Universal Orlando's Super Nintendo World theme park has been delayed till 2025 Confused
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
-Switch Pro: Eh, typically I take rumors like this as clickbait because people have been claiming there's going to be a Pro since the Switch came out but it never happens. However, this seems plausible because it's just a bigger screen and a higher resolution. That's it, that's all it's going to be if it comes out, so it's not somehow going to magically create higher poly count or FPS rates. Plus considering how chip shortages are still ongoing and the current situation with -points everywhere- is still terrible so the idea of bringing out a Switch 1.5 was always kind of silly. Better to just do a Switch XL since numbers are still good and wait it out until an actual new console is ready.

-NIS: Ah, those are some forgotten titles. Now give us a port of Makai Kingdom so I can Zetta chew scenery.

-Square: Tough call. I'd like to see Front Mission again, but so far it's like Square has done everything they can to destroy it what with first giving Evolved to Motomu Toriyama (which is like giving Gundam to Tow Ubukata) and then Left alive which....hooboy, that was a disaster. I'd personally like to see Parasite Eve again, but that was left to a bunch of people who got into creepy territory. I dunno, not getting my hopes up since good Square remakes are basically a coin toss.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dayum! Andy was always the prettier Bogard bro, but he's been super-bishiefied to never-before-seen degrees for this go-around.

I see the obari influences there. on teh other hadn mai looks pretty bad, if they are going to censor her outfit, they should either be more imaginative or just use the later fatal fury ones.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Would buy a Switch that can hit a stable 30 on the new Hyrule Warriors (because as-is it makes me ill to play), but that doesn't seem likely and a bigger screen isn't terribly attractive.

I love Virtual On, but it's rarely been available in a form I could actually play. I actually picked up a physical copy of A Certain Magical Virtual On out of desperation, but a lack of local multiplayer modes makes it effectively a paperweight. What is it with niche anime games pushing multiplayer but confining it to online modes that will be dead within a month?
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
> (Seriously, Soul Nomad gets extremely You've been warned.)

Um -- there is a *VERY* important word missing from this line....
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 am Reply with quote
Denys Lalande wrote:

I did a double-take too, but then thought that was the joke: like "you've been warned" is a thing, and Soul Nomad gets extremely that.

Other stuff:

• Switch Pro -- Yes, please. Switch doesn't need a weird reinvention (like Wii -> Wii U), just some oomph under the hood to stay plausibly current. It wouldn't be unreasonable to want Switch to get parity with the PS4 Pro by the end of 2021, right? (And there's a funny thought: a Switch powerful enough to run Final Fantasy VII Remake in portable mode… if only anyone had enough room on their SD cards)
  • Square Enix IP -- IIRC, some of the Front Mission developers are now at aNCHOR doing Muv-Luv Project Mikhail, so bringing in an outsider to bring it back is plausible. Someone mentioned Parasite Eve and that would be a great choice too. But why not wish for weirder: Einhander, Tobal/Ehrgeiz, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer Musashi. Or be ironic and reboot The Bouncer.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
But why not wish for weirder: Einhander, Tobal/Ehrgeiz, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer Musashi. Or be ironic and reboot The Bouncer.

To be fair, all of these other than Musashi would be the most likely of choices. Forever Entertainment & the studio behind the Panzer Dragoon remakes have already stated that PD Saga won't be happening simply because it's an RPG, and the studio isn't big enough to handle remaking something like that. That's why they're only doing more arcade-style games, so Einhander or Bushido Blade would be options that would be more possible from them than something like Front Mission.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Aksys barreling ahead with their Otomate licences. Otome games have really caught on in the West, and it's partially thanks to them taking chances on stuff like Hakuoki.

The NIS rereleases are interesting. I would've thought they'd bundle Makai Kingdom with Phantom Brave, since they're so similar, but Soul Nomad is the better game of those two, so no complaints here.

invalidname wrote:
  • Square Enix IP -- IIRC, some of the Front Mission developers are now at aNCHOR doing Muv-Luv Project Mikhail, so bringing in an outsider to bring it back is plausible. Someone mentioned Parasite Eve and that would be a great choice too. But why not wish for weirder: Einhander, Tobal/Ehrgeiz, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer Musashi. Or be ironic and reboot The Bouncer.

"Multiple game remakes" seems to indicate an IP with multiple entries, though. I believe that would knock Einhander, Ehrgeiz, and The Bouncer out of contention.

The Parasite Eve series is a solid pick. As a fan of the series, I'm a little reluctant about Squeenix reviving Front Mission, since they've tried so many times already, and none of them stuck the landing. If they're remakes of the core series, though, that might do a little better. It would certainly improve the chances of seeing the rest of the series in English (officially).

Also, I notice that whenever this sort of topic comes up, it's always the Squaresoft IPs that get the love, and not the Enix ones. You know what weirdness would be cool? Bust a Move/Groove! Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean are two other possibilities from the Enix side, and rather strong contenders, at that.

That said, for all we know, it could even be an IP that originated with Taito or Eidos. Guess we'll see.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
There's a ton of IP that Square Enix has gathered over the ages from other companies they've bought (Eidos to name one) - considering they own so many legacy IP, it'll be very interesting to see what third parties license from them next.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll believe in the production of a Switch Pro when they're on store shelves. Bloomberg has been shooting nothing but blanks every year for the past four years about the Switch Pro. At this point, they're not predicting anything, they're just wearing us down.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
If the new switch still has drifting controllers, for the love of god please don't buy it
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Switch: All I care about right now on the announcement front is Bayonetta 3.

Announcement of what a gameplay reveal, demo?

As the game was announced a good while back.

Denys Lalande wrote:

Glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed that.

The suspense is maddening.

R. Kasahara wrote:

"Multiple game remakes" seems to indicate an IP with multiple entries, though. I believe that would knock Einhander, Ehrgeiz, and The Bouncer out of contention.

The Bouncer in particular would be out of contention not simply by the fact it was a one-off but the reason it was a one-off is because it underperformed.

Which is a shame I remember (somewhat) the ads for it and came off as interesting.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:54 am Reply with quote
Also, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV PC version will hit Steam April 9th. Something to wait for...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:44 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The Bouncer in particular would be out of contention not simply by the fact it was a one-off but the reason it was a one-off is because it underperformed.

Which is a shame I remember (somewhat) the ads for it and came off as interesting.

I thought there was a direct line of creatives/programmers between Tobal No. 1 -> Tobal 2 -> Ehrgeiz -> The Bouncer.

Actually, now that I look, they were all developed by DreamFactory, and all directed by Seiichi Ishii.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2