• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Addresses Mushoku Tensei, Classroom of the Elite Light Novel Localization Changes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Damn, looks like it's time to learn japanese.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Considering the conversation that's been going on around the TV show, maybe Seven Seas simply didn't want to deal with all the gross nonsense in this series and the readers that are drawn to such content.
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
It's very bla bla bla, to say that they just censored it. Honestly, it's a basic rule that the vast majority of fans hate any kind of alteration to the original, they want everything the same. Only that.

Just because we live in an time that many people believe that the Earth is flat and that the world is ruled by reptilians does not mean that publishers can make fans of stupid.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Considering the conversation that's been going on around the TV show, maybe Seven Seas simply didn't want to deal with all the gross nonsense in this series and the readers that are drawn to such content.

Then don't license it. If you think the people who would be interested in it are gross, there's no need to half-assedly market to them, leave it to someone else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Brainchild129 wrote:

Then don't license it. If you think the people who would be interested in it are gross, there's no need to half-assedly market to them, leave it to someone else.

Oh my thoughts precisely, VORTIA. This series had been out for years, so it's not like they would have been surprised by the content. Seven Seas in particular should know what can happen when you don't do your diligence, considering the struggle they had in their early days with Kodomo no Jikan/Nymphet.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
Even as someone whose whole reaction to Jobless can be described as “major yikes with a side of ick”, while I can understand the desire to soften such language for marketability purposes, I think Seven Seas took it too far. People who get into Jobless now definitely know what they’re getting into, and trying to make the series as a whole more palatable just isn’t going to work for that market since they a) aren’t bothered by it to begin with, or b) want to see Rudy at his most disgusting so his character growth has more impact. (And yes, I know what comes later, I’m steadfastly ignoring that Rudy’s lolicon preferences don’t appear to be something the story considers in need of fixing.) I don’t know if someone on Seven Seas dropped the ball on research or what, but regardless, fans of this series deserve better than an intentionally sanitized translation.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
This is extremely grave, and not because of the quality of the work (I didn't read the novel and I'm not watching the anime).
This shouldn't have happened to begin with. If the work has - to some - questionable material and the publisher feels there may be a backlash, it would be better to avoid licensing it in the first place.
Sanitizing it not only is stupid because nowadays people will notice it, but also because it solves nothing. And sets a dangerous precedent.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
Damn, looks like it's time to learn japanese.

I'd certainly encourage it as being able to consume Japanese media directly without the reliance or interference of American companies is always great and probably going to become a necessity in the near future at this rate as every season emboldens companies to drop or censor titles they license, but Mushoku Tensei's been fantranslated for years

Ironically there was a bit of discourse a week or two ago from some industry translators on social media insisting they don't change or censor works and fans are just paranoid and can't let go of the 4Kids days. Whoops.
UnitatoSama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
Wait, does someone actually know if the scene with Eris was actually like the anime in the japanese LN? Cause I find it strange that they made it even harder than the WN version, they usually make it less explicit than the original WN, also there is no mention of it being changed from the WN in the mushoku wiki
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
This is extremely grave, and not because of the quality of the work (I didn't read the novel and I'm not watching the anime).
This shouldn't have happened to begin with. If the work has - to some - questionable material and the publisher feels there may be a backlash, it would be better to avoid licensing it in the first place.
Sanitizing it not only is stupid because nowadays people will notice it, but also because it solves nothing. And sets a dangerous precedent.

I agree completely.
I can't imagine there are too many people who would say that they are offended by a story which mentions Paul going into Lilia's room at night and raping her but who are suddenly OK with that story if the word rape is changed to assault. Yet on the other hand there are plenty of fans who get upset when things get changed or censored simply as a matter of principle.

Back in the 90's when I was first getting into anime I was so frustrated by localization changes made to many anime back then that I basically gave up on the domestic market entirely and imported LDs from Japan and started learning Japanese (both self-study and college classes) and using fansub scripts available off the net to help me understand what I couldn't on my own. I didn't pay much attention to the domestic market until well into the 2000's when those problems mostly disappeared. My Kanji skills aren't close to good enough to read these novels in Japanese (nor do I have much interest in reading them in the first place), but I can certainly empathize with readers who were upset by content being changed. Yes localization is a challenge and the goal should be to convey the author's original intent rather than a verbatim dictionary translation but some of the things being mentioned here go way beyond that. If the work offends you then that's okay, don't read or watch it. If the work is likely to cause public backlash when localized then don't license it. But don't make changes to the author/artist's work to suit your whims.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
UnitatoSama wrote:
Wait, does someone actually know if the scene with Eris was actually like the anime in the japanese LN? Cause I find it strange that they made it even harder than the WN version, they usually make it less explicit than the original WN, also there is no mention of it being changed from the WN in the mushoku wiki

Yup. It was like that in both the WN and the LN.
UnitatoSama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
UnitatoSama wrote:

Yup. It was like that in both the WN and the LN.

Hmm no, it wasnt from what I've read, in the WN he touches her boobs but then he tries to touch her exposed belly and then Eris wakes up, he never went for the panties
EDIT: Nevermind, I found a text comparison from someone who owns the japanese LN and we were both wrong, it goes like this: He covers her exposed belly, grabs boob, then tries to go for the panties but before even reaching the dress Eris wakes up
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Overall, I think I agree with you. It sort of seems like they were trying to have it both ways where they wanted to publish something that has decent sales potential, but didn't want the baggage that came with it. I don't hold it against a publisher if they look at something and decide it isn't something they care to publish, like with the recent news about Redo of Healer not finding publishers wanting to localize it. It's their call to make, and leaves it available if someone else is willing. Localizing something, but making sizeable changes in the process, strays into editing the content, if you ask me. Translation isn't a direct swapping of words, but a choice of wording that alters the context is a problem. Depending on the particular person's knowledge, they might not even be aware that it happened. I've only seen the first episode of Jobless so far, but I was already getting some very sketchy vibes from Paul already, but that doesn't mean I would have necessarily realized that what happened with Lilia wasn't a consensual thing that happened to involve adultery, and was actually a noble forcing himself on a servant. Either would have explained why I didn't like the guy, but the degree is significantly different.
Rogural

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
More so than with Mushoku, I find myself absolutely disgusted for what happened with Classroom of the Elite. I know the former will be the hot button issue, because of the content, but looking at the sheer scope of how Elite was absolutely butchered is ridiculous, and it's a damned shame that anyone has had the experience of reading that version.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Classroom of the Elite, but not someone who has reached this poorly edited volume, I hope they rerelease it with a proper job editing. While my studies have proven that a translated version does become the "work" of the translator, this is a point where they go too far. There is no reason, none at all, for there to be that much cut from one version to the next. Trimmed down, absolutely can happen, but yikes that is a disheartening bit of information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6