• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: I★CHU: Halfway Through The Idol

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. I spent some time looking at the website, which is interesting for just the diverse costumes each idol has and the blurb explaining each unit (if you can read or translate Japanese). You can click "change" on each character to switch between what looks like their "school uniform" and stage costume. If you look closely at the page for the IB unit, you can see the flags of different countries in their logo, so apparently all the members are foreigners and the blurb at the right says "International Boy Band" (or IB, get it?)

Yeah I like to visit show websites a lot. The blurb for Pop'n Star says 光輝くフラワースター!キュートな男の娘 or "Shining Flower Star Cute Otokonoko." So I disagree that the concept behind the unit is transphobic like you mentioned. I didn't watch the show yet but are you suggesting that since the members identify male, they shouldn't present female as a form of entertainment for others? Is this tied to the argument (which I still find extremely flawed) that the existence of otokonoko in anime is somehow promoting anti-trans violence? We (as in ANN staff and other users) had this argument before and what we got out of it is the more base terminology you may know of is at fault (but I still disagree with also) not otokonoko or its "concept."

Like I said, I didn't watch the show yet so I won't comment on what was interpreted as transphobia directed at the character Kokoro. But what you said about "running joke" also gives me the impression we're conflating concept and terminology here. I'd really like some clarification or more in-depth explanation from the article's author please, I hope nothing I've said seems offensive or disrespectful to anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1