• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANN Aftershow - Why Deku Deserves a New Quirk!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dextres

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Why Deku deserves a new qurik is just like why deserves a new quirk in the current arc. He is the magnus opus of My Hero.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It's not that Deku deserves a new quirk. It's that the writer wrote themselves into a corner by giving him The Most Generic Superhero Power and realized it's not nearly interesting enough for as varied the quirks are in MHA.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
It's not that Deku deserves a new quirk. It's that the writer wrote themselves into a corner by giving him The Most Generic Superhero Power and realized it's not nearly interesting enough for as varied the quirks are in MHA.

Did he really wrote himself in a corner if the vestiges and the singularity have already been teased multiple time?

Looks more like this was well planned. Like pretty much everything Horikoshi wrote so far. Blackwhip is a clear reference to Spiderman. Hori even teased him as such when he drew volume 9's cover way back then.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
The writer isn't in a corner. This seems like it was planned for a long time.

Deku's quirk is generic, but MHA has a whole cast of characters to keep things interesting. I think the writer just wants Deku to dominate the plot from now on, which is much less interesting of a story even if intentional.

Last edited by Gasero on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
Even if it wasn't teased, it's not like anyone doubted Deku was going to get more quirks. He's the main character in a shounen, it's basically a legal requirement at this point.

Planned or not sadly doesn't make 'Deku getting more powers' more exciting than it sounds.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
Because Horikoshi loves Spiderman and always had wanted Deku to become Spidey-ish.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Generations wrote:
The writer isn't in a corner. This seems like it was planned for a long time.

Deku's quirk is generic, but MHA has a whole cast of characters to keep things interesting. I think the writer just wants Deku to dominate the plot from now on, which is much less interesting of a story even if intentional.

That last bit isn’t really much of a problem since despite being the main character Deku can feel out of focus in the current arcs.

So him reclaiming status and gaining more focus isn’t a bad thing since he is still the main character and is the guy whose gonna resolve the final conflict with the main villain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1