• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Producer Explains the Business of Greenlighting Sequels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The original Fate/Stay Night anime wasn't successful? It averaged ~26,000 sales per DVD, making over a billion yen (and then got a box set that sold 10,000 copies on top of that). Someone screwed up big time if that wasn't enough to make money.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:58 pm Reply with quote
So who do we have to offer unspeakable favors to in order to get more Land of the Lustrous? >_>
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
The original Fate/Stay Night anime wasn't successful? It averaged ~26,000 sales per DVD, making over a billion yen (and then got a box set that sold 10,000 copies on top of that). Someone screwed up big time if that wasn't enough to make money.

If you check Wikipedia(not the most accurate source, but it works here), the Visual novel sold almost a million copies. Specifically almost 800,000 with both the NSFW and SFW ps2 version. The dvd sales are a drop in the bucket compared to that.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
It looks like I was beaten to the punch in regards to asking about Land of the Lustrous, but I'd be genuinely interested how that kind of advice changes in regards to cg properties, particularly ones that require a single studio/team to produce. Somehow I suspect merely pestering the companies on the production committee will be enough
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I too would love to see more City Hunter anime get made.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:

If you check Wikipedia(not the most accurate source, but it works here), the Visual novel sold almost a million copies. Specifically almost 800,000 with both the NSFW and SFW ps2 version. The dvd sales are a drop in the bucket compared to that.

its always like that, tho,. as far as the anime is concerned fsn was a big hit. so wither the production really messed up, or the sales had some weird timing that stopped the anime from getting more input.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1