• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Niantic Forms 'Interaction Distance Task Force' in Response to Pokémon GO Boycott in U.S., New

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Holy crap energy systems in mobile games really leeched 5 billion off pokemon fans? Damn that is sad. Though dont get me wrong I dont think enjoying a mobile grind game is sad, I enjoy Fate GO, but it is sad how the formula of daily rewards but limited interaction without a currency item can take money on such a grand scale.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I do hope that they bring some form of increased Stop distance back. It was easy for me to spin my nearest Stop from home until they changed it back, and it had been especially useful on days when it was dangerous to go out (not just because of the pandemic, but wildfire smoke, snow, heat, etc.) and during the few months when I had a leg injury.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
They need to bring increased Stop distance back.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
So basically they're gonna "collect data" and go "Hey actually our data shows that the increased distance doesn't matter so we're keeping it this way"
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
If they actually had returned it to 40m there would have been complaints sure but less than what they are getting. They didn't reduce it to 40m, the range is less than 10m.

It was a stupid decision for them to shorten distance (especially as the pandemic isn't over yet) but they are straight up lying about it. Like people can remember where they had to stand for gym battles pre-pandemic and this isn't it
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:22 am Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
If they actually had returned it to 40m there would have been complaints sure but less than what they are getting. They didn't reduce it to 40m, the range is less than 10m.

It was a stupid decision for them to shorten distance (especially as the pandemic isn't over yet) but they are straight up lying about it. Like people can remember where they had to stand for gym battles pre-pandemic and this isn't it

Yeah, seriously. There's a gym at my local church that is well within 40 meters of the parking lot, but after the change I can't get anywhere close to connecting to it there. I'm a grown-ass man, I don't need to be wandering around outside after services waving my phone around.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
There's no way it was ever 80 meters, but it's also not currently less than 10, that'd be ridiculous. It appears to be back to the original 20-25 from the pandemic-adusted 40-50. Looking at a stop right now on google maps that used to be reachable from this spot but now isn't--it's about 30 meters away. (This stop was also not quite reachable from here before the pandemic.)

That said, one of the main things we learned from this was that the original distance was way too short. Niantic, as always, only thinks about big cities with extremely high pokestop density when making any design decisions, so I'm not optimistic they'll see why this was so helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1